Does anyone have a good example of a NCM (Nonconforming Material) procedure?

S

steve100

I'm trying to implement a Non-Comforming Materials procedure...does anyone know where i can find examples or help. Also should a customer return without prior notice be treated as Non Conforming Material? Thanks

P

PhilThomas

steve100 said:
I'm trying to implement a Non-Comforming Materials procedure...does anyone know where i can find examples or help. Also should a customer return without prior notice be treated as Non Conforming Material? Thanks

A customer return without prior notice (and a clearly marked Return Authorization number) should be refused from the shipper :)

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
PhilThomas said:
A customer return without prior notice (and a clearly marked Return Authorization number) should be refused from the shipper :)

Phil,

I would agree if that is your company's policy / procedural requirement. However, if you are company that basically works through distributorships that is probably unlikely. In this situation you will need to establish a process for evaluating all returned product whether a Return Authorization was obtained previously to shipment or not - or not meet customer satisfaction / expectations.

Steve 100,

As for a procedure, it may require more than one procedure depending on your QMS. Can you provide more information about your type of business?

Thanks,
Doug

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Here is my procedure.

Attachments

• QMSP8.7-Control of Non-Conforming ProductRev4.doc
    79 KB · Views: 1,041
S

steve100

Thanks for the help with Non-Conforming materials

I have more more question.....in the receiving process lets say one line item is short, over, or the wrong product. Are these handled as Non-Conforming material? Thanks for everyones help.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
steve100 said:
I have more more question.....in the receiving process lets say one line item is short, over, or the wrong product. Are these handled as Non-Conforming material? Thanks for everyones help.

In my system, the answer is "No". It does not reach that elevation at that time. I am registered to ISO 9001:2000 successfully.
Hope that helps. :bigwave:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
steve100 said:

There's sometimes a difference between a nonconforming "thing" and a nonconforming condition. In the case of a "bad" shipment (too many, too few, too late, too early, etc.) there is indeed a nonconforming condition, but not a nonconforming, palpable thing.

Now. Sometimes a nonconforming condition can be as harmful as a nonconforming thing. For instance, if you need 1000 things to satisfy a customer order, and your supplier delivers only 995, or delivers 1000 but too late for you to make your customer's delivery date, the effect is the same as if your supplier had sent 1000 parts with 5 of them being unuseable.

So whether or not nonconforming conditions should be treated the same as nonconforming "things" should depend on the potential effect in most cases.

Top Bottom