EMS (ISO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additions

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: EMS (SO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additio

Does your operation generate any hazardous waste ?
Poor question because it doesn't require more than a "yes-no" response. We call this a close-ended question. Where do you go if my answer is "No"?

The other questions aren't that hot either

How do you know that they are hazardous ?
Because the law says so......A better question would be "How are your hazardous wastes catagorized and who does the catagorizing?"

How and where do you dispose them ?
With a dsiposal company at a disposal site.....This could be better asked by saying "Describe your disposal activity and its location"

To be honest all this information would be provided in detail just by looking at a Hazardous Waste Manifest here in the US if the afcility is a waste generator.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: EMS (SO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additio

Poor question because it doesn't require more than a "yes-no" response. We call this a close-ended question. Where do you go if my answer is "No"?

The other questions aren't that hot either

Because the law says so......A better question would be "How are your hazardous wastes catagorized and who does the catagorizing?"

With a dsiposal company at a disposal site.....This could be better asked by saying "Describe your disposal activity and its location"

To be honest all this information would be provided in detail just by looking at a Hazardous Waste Manifest here in the US if the afcility is a waste generator.
These are the questions I use when interviewing a shop floor worker, a machine operator, a material handler, etc. They are meant to test the awareness of the EMS, the effectiveness of training, communication and awareness of waste management/recycling, emergency procedures and objectives/programs, etc. I also throw in questions regarding specific work instructions/procedures, for workers that have key EMS roles - for example a waste water treatment operator.

Thanks ....
I am sure you have read what the intent of the OP was as he has clearly explained in quote put above ...
For the levels he is targeting, a clear and quick yes / no answer says a lot about the training and awareness they have had. I need such a quick answer from people who are shop floor worker, a machine operator, a material handler, etc.
If yes, his understanding of how it is hazardous will determine how much he has been trained about classification of such waste and the next question targets to his knowledge and awareness of the first level disposition for safe and correct storage and disposition subsequently
If answer is No, and indeed if I become aware that there are hazardous waste generation, then I can gather how well the awareness and training has been moving down to basic steps to such shop floor worker, a machine operator, a material handler, etc..
And with all respects my thinking on a post here is never regional.

K

krishna080974 - 2010

Can any one send me a checklist for auditing Work instruction / OCP. this is required as our Significant aspects & Un acceptable risks - ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 are controlled through work instructions

S

samsung

Can any one send me a checklist for auditing Work instruction / OCP. this is required as our Significant aspects & Un acceptable risks - ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 are controlled through work instructions

Hi, Krishna,

A warm welcome to the Cove.

Work Instructions or OCPs are generally derived from some standards, equipment manuals, legislation (Rules & regulations), industry Codes of practices etc. and as such they many not be required to be audited. However, you may plan your audits to verify if these WIs/ OCPs are being followed or not or they are reviewed or not in the light of changing circumstances.

A

arivu21

Re: EMS (ISO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additi

Thank you very much, it is very helful to me. kindly can you advice me what proof we can look for against the each ems std?

S

samsung

Re: EMS (ISO 14001) Audit / Interview Typical List of Questions for Review and Additi

Thank you very much, it is very helful to me. kindly can you advice me what proof we can look for against the each ems std?

Have a look at the checklist here. and see if everything is in place. This will help you know what sort of objective evidences (proofs) you need to demonstrate that a 14001 compliant EMS is in place.

Chris Thor

Registered
Please help with some interview questions to ask the top management of a construction company during ISO 14001:2015 auditing to check their conformity to; a)ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
b) ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS
c) ENVIRONMENTAL OBJECTIVES
d) COMPETENCE
e) CREATING AND UPDATING THE EMS

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Some sample questions.

Please show me how you:

a) Are involved in the planning of any changes to your plant
b) Keep track of changes to environmental regulations
c) Update your system in anticipation of upcoming changes