Environmental Conditions for Calibration - Temperature and Humidity

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
The question about calibrating physical/dimensional items in an environment where they are used has come up often over the years. I didn't have time to read all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating. But it pretty well doesn't work.

Calibrating a micrometer, height gage, digital indicator, etc., the big temperature issue is the coefficient on the gage block, which is pretty well always calibrated at 68 degrees (20 C). If you calibrate a high accuracy out in a shop where the temp could be anything/whatever - you then have to calculate all the variables on tjhe gage block. The expansions on the digital indicator are small in comparison. So it is a dangerous tradeoff that could very well yield incorrect results. My vote is always calibrate items in a proper lab environment. It is the users job to know their instruments and apply corrections as needed, not the calibration lab.

Regarding environmental requirements for an electrical lab, I made a list of all my measurement standards, and looked up each and every temp, RH and temp coefficient (where significant/applicable). And set my lab parameters to be at least better than those. Many electrical standards is +/-5C, with some being +/-1C (precision standards). Our Fluke 8508A's have both. I have a set of HP 16380A capacitance standards that are spec'd to operate from 30% to 70%RH. I have them labeled to assure they are used within acceptable limits.

R

Resty

Good day. I need some explanation on how to interpret this table from NIST handbook.
I am confused on how to interpret the relative humidity.

We usually select 50 ± 10 in our lab, this comply with the 40 to 60 range. When I saw this table i got confused because of another ± 10 in the second echelon.

Thanks in advance for any explanation

Table 6. Environmental facility guidelines for mass laboratories
Echelon Temperature Relative Humidity
(maximum per 4 hours)
I 20 °C to 23 °C, a set point ± 1 °C
maximum change 0.5 °C/h 40 % to 60 % ± 5 %
II 20 °C to 23 °C, a set point ± 2 °C
maximum change 1.0 °C/h 40 % to 60 % ± 10 %
III 18 °C to 27 °C
maximum change 2 °C/h 40 % to 60 % ± 20 %

NOTE: The environmental conditions should also be within the specifications of the weighing
instruments where applicable.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
The intent is for you to choose an RH set point between 40% and 60%, and it is allowed to drift no more than ±10% per 4 hour period from that point.

Top Bottom