Ford Has $1.19 Bln 1st-Qtr Loss on Job-Cutting Costs

L

little__cee

Saturn?

I'm not in the automotive market - is it true that Saturn is the company that produces the "most American made" vehicle?

By that, I mean parts, components, etc - as well as being assembled in America also.

I realize that Toyota, Honda, etc have plants in America - just curious about the Saturn comment which I overheard not too long ago as advice that if you want to buy a true American car, your only choice is a Saturn. I figured someone here would know if that statement was true.

R

ralphsulser

You may be right but I don't think there are any truely all American content cars left in the market.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
According to a thread in Saturnfans.com, the GM mothership has been exerting more influence over its Saturn division and it is becoming more global in makeup.

K

Ken K

Jennifer Kirley said:
Foreign car companies are building plants in the U.S., while the "Big 2 1/2" are closing many plants in comparison.

And the reason would be?

It is reported Toyota has 120 billion in the bank. So they come to the US and propose to build another manufacturing plant. All the governor's and officials line up and see who can give the most tax breaks and other incentives to land the plant. Does it really make sense? Hundreds of millions of dollars in breaks are given to foreign auto makers, yet GM is offered only 50 million to keep a plant open in Michigan.

And instead of using US sourced suppliers, they bring their own along which help eliminate more jobs than they are creating.

W

wmarhel

Ken K said:
And the reason would be?

It is reported Toyota has 120 billion in the bank. So they come to the US and propose to build another manufacturing plant. All the governor's and officials line up and see who can give the most tax breaks and other incentives to land the plant. Does it really make sense? Hundreds of millions of dollars in breaks are given to foreign auto makers, yet GM is offered only 50 million to keep a plant open in Michigan.

And instead of using US sourced suppliers, they bring their own along which help eliminate more jobs than they are creating.

Toyota's approach to globalization is to focus on localization. The vehicles for the U.S. and North America are largely designed and then built in the U.S. They just completed their new design center the last few years. They have also built an engine center up in Michigan as well. Toyota has bee talking to Subaru about utilizing some of their excess capacity to build Camrys in the U.S.

Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers are paying good wages, they are putting people to work, and they aren't talking about massive layoffs or restructuring. They are also using U.S. suppliers, in some cases the very same suppliers that the "Big Three" are using.

As a taxpayer, giving money to GM or Ford would be just as good as flushing it down the toilet. Their cars are not selling, and it isn't for lack of incentives on the part of the automaker. It is very telling that when there is an option to buy a similar vehicle (size, horsepower, etc.) with deep discounts, zero financing, etc; people would still buy a different brand. ****, GM recalled more vehicles than it built a few years back.

Wayne

J

Joe Cruse

Ken K said:
I'm really curious...what makes you so proud buying an import? It seems you would rather support a foreign company than your own neighbors, and that makes you proud????????????????????????????????:( :confused:

Ken, to turn that right back around, why aren't our "neigbors" (GM, Ford, C-D) supporting domestic by manufacturing a desired product (style, quality, price, affordability of use, etc)? This is a 2-way street.

If, when I shop for my next vehicle, my "neigbors" won't offer me a vehicle I want, I will not be offering to pay them my hard earned $ for one. I would just as soon buy domestic, but why should I have to buy something I really don't want?

Top Bottom