Definition Gage and Gauge - Difference between the terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cordon - 2007

Anyone ever notice that shotguns are always "gauge"? I don't remember ever seeing a 12 gage or 20 gage shotgun :nope:

J

JerryStem

What about grey & gray?
I've just attributed the two spellings to an old English variant or something. English is pretty much the mutt of languages...

Jerry :tg:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Cordon said:
Anyone ever notice that shotguns are always "gauge"? I don't remember ever seeing a 12 gage or 20 gage shotgun :nope:
A Google search for "12 gage shotgun" (without quotes) yielded 171,000 hits. A search for shotgun gage yielded 294,000 hits.

Last edited:
R

RosieA

Mmmmm, I think grAy is the color, and grEy is a last name. When you look up grey it says "see gray".

All I can say is that I'm glad that I'm a native English speaker. I 'd hate to try to learn this language as an adult.

There's a family in our neighborhood who recently immigrated from Vietnam. The two daughters learned English in Vietnam, but Mom and Dad are in a daily English immersion program trying to get literate. In Vietnamese, there are no tenses, so having to learn past, present, future, pluperfect and all that jazz is really a struggle for them.

Not to mention slang and idioms, and contractions, and homonyms, and double entendres and puns....:mg:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Wayne/Gage Crib said:
This thread needs to be moved. How is that done?
I merged it with a thread of an identical topic. Where do you think it should be moved to?

R

rangotango

gage: American spelling
gauge : rest of the world spelling

similar to
color: american spelling
colour rest of the world

The is only one english language!

rangotango (the englishman) rules!!

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Al Rosen said:
I merged it with a thread of an identical topic. Where do you think it should be moved to?
By merging the threads you have moved the thread and resolved the moving issue. This brings peace to my Obsessive-Compulsive mind.:biglaugh:

S

shawnpeterson

gauge collects variable data i.e. psi, inches, while a gage collects information about attributes, ie. go/nogo data at least thats how my old professor explained it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom