Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
We tried that one...its a good idea...but it failed cold for us.
The preprinted batch of labels didn't get tossed when the lot ended...and leftovers got applied to things they shouldn't have.
Controlling the number at the time of application was all that worked for us.

That said...do you use that part number internally? Or do you call them "Cat-5 cable wide end male" and "Blue Coax female with splitter" and such.
Most of the software Al mentioned can be referenced one thing (that everyone knows every day) and then print the complex number.
We entered our internal part number, and the customer's part number printed on the label...
HTH
ok, so I asked them these questions and they provided answers in bold italics.
  1. What software do you use to make the labels? If you are using some type of ink-jet printer, could I please get the model number so I can research whether it can be combined with a proofing software that would flag mistakes before the labels even get printed? Software is custom from the manufacturer of the labels; proofing is not available. Spell check is not even possible since all label info is basically custom
  2. How many times during the production process are the labels visually checked and by which functional team member? (example: person making the label, supervisor, QA inspector) the label maker, his supervisor, the operator, and then QA
  3. How many production changeovers do you typically have in each shift that require labels to change as well? He is required to print an average of 25 – 50 different labels a day, if not more

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy,
25-50 labels per day, checked by Super, Operator and QA...and you still get significant qty of mistakes...
In my shop, we'd have a "come to Jesus" meeting...and it would stop, or they would all get canned on the spot.
Been there, done that...canned three people in a single meeting. Do your job, or it's not your job...life is simple like that.

We did thousands of labels per week, and two checks got it down to 10/yr. the third "casual check" got it down to 1-2/year.
If a supervisor is missing it, you need a new supervisor (presuming the operator reports to him/her)...how can a person hold an operator accountable for what they themselves do not do? The word "supervisor" comes with both responsibility and accountability.
FWIW, the title "Quality_____" also comes with the expectation that you catch quality errors...

My two cents...

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Howdy,
25-50 labels per day, checked by Super, Operator and QA...and you still get significant qty of mistakes...
In my shop, we'd have a "come to Jesus" meeting...and it would stop, or they would all get canned on the spot.
Been there, done that...canned three people in a single meeting. Do your job, or it's not your job...life is simple like that.

We did thousands of labels per week, and two checks got it down to 10/yr. the third "casual check" got it down to 1-2/year.
If a supervisor is missing it, you need a new supervisor (presuming the operator reports to him/her)...how can a person hold an operator accountable for what they themselves do not do? The word "supervisor" comes with both responsibility and accountability.
FWIW, the title "Quality_____" also comes with the expectation that you catch quality errors...

My two cents...
thanks, on top of all of this, this supplier doesn't have anyone truly managing their quality system. The person who answers SCARS and NCs is also the Chief Operations Manager. Has zero time to prevent quality issues or improve their QMS. I have to come up with a plan to help them improve but getting participation is really hard. He already told me that they don't have resources to devote to any improvement projects :(
to get someone dedicated to managing their QMS is probably the best course of action.

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Can label creation eliminate as much typing as possible by linking to other computer systems?
Hi,
Sorry for the long delay in answering your question. I checked with them and they said that there is no way of proofing the labels because they are custom made from custom made software. I asked some questions and this is how he answered:
  1. What software do you use to make the labels? If you are using some type of ink-jet printer, could I please get the model number so I can research whether it can be combined with a proofing software that would flag mistakes before the labels even get printed? Software is custom from the manufacturer of the labels; proofing is not available. Spell check is not even possible since all label info is basically custom
  2. How many times during the production process are the labels visually checked and by which functional team member? (example: person making the label, supervisor, QA inspector) the label maker, his supervisor, the operator, and then QA
  3. How many production changeovers do you typically have in each shift that require labels to change as well? He is required to print an average of 25 – 50 different labels a day, if not more

I personally have not worked with labels that were custom made from the manufacturer of the label where there was NO WAY POSSIBLE to make sure they are RIGHT before they got to me and DEFINATELY before the get to my customer :confused:

there just HAS to be a way to check these.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
So lack of management attention and focus is an issue, as is poor label making software. One possible solution for the software, besides spending the money on something better, is to use a macro program to pull information from somewhere else, such as a database of some type with as much of the information already entered (I bet much of the label information is already entered for internal tracking purposes), and then feed it into the label software. Honestly, I would look for new software before I tried to create a macro based system. Without better automation, the errors are going to continue.

Until management cares, the likelihood of improvement is low.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I have to come up with a plan to help them improve but getting participation is really hard. He already told me that they don't have resources to devote to any improvement projects :(
to get someone dedicated to managing their QMS is probably the best course of action.
Time to have a discussion with your management about the lack of resources. It may be time to develop another vendor.

So lack of management attention and focus is an issue, as is poor label making software. One possible solution for the software, besides spending the money on something better, is to use a macro program to pull information from somewhere else, such as a database of some type with as much of the information already entered (I bet much of the label information is already entered for internal tracking purposes), and then feed it into the label software. Honestly, I would look for new software before I tried to create a macro based system. Without better automation, the errors are going to continue.

Until management cares, the likelihood of improvement is low.
I agree. If what they are using isn't working, they need to make a change and if management doesn't care, nothing will improve.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
get someone dedicated to managing their QMS is probably the best course of action.

That is the Chief Executive.

This person may choose to delegate some of their authority to a “QMS Manager” but the responsibility to support employees with an effective system remains at the top. Doubtless a competent manager can help.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
How many times during the production process are the labels visually checked and by which functional team member? (example: person making the label, supervisor, QA inspector) the label maker, his supervisor, the operator, and then QA

Why are four people repeating the same inspection?

That reminds me a story in one of Demings books about shared responsibility. You may have better results having only one person performing the inspection; I have seen it in my workplace that having two operators independently inspecting the same part results in more escapes. The first one assumes the second will inspect it thoroughly and thus doesn't perform inspection properly, the second assumes it's already been checked once and does the same or less.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
thanks, on top of all of this, this supplier doesn't have anyone truly managing their quality system. The person who answers SCARS and NCs is also the Chief Operations Manager. Has zero time to prevent quality issues or improve their QMS. I have to come up with a plan to help them improve but getting participation is really hard. He already told me that they don't have resources to devote to any improvement projects

As Bill Engvall might say to that supplier "Here's your sign".

They want you to fix their recurring quality problems because they don't have time???!!!

If you have an alternate source of supply, I suggest you use them. If not, find one. This company doesn't get it, and likely won't ever get it, or at least not in a timeframe to help you before you tear all of your hair out.

Top Bottom