Have you tried Microsoft Windows 8?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I agree completely. Had I not been faced with a new PC with no OS, I never would have switched to 8. Given the bargain price of $40, I figured I'd go ahead and do it. I can't say that I regret it, but I am a bit dismayed at how touch-oriented the damned thing is.

Recently bought a new Sony "Ultrabook", with Windows 8 and a Touchscreen. I HATED Windows 8, but there is no turning back. It is the future, and we have to learn it sooner or later...at least it offers about 20 apps to help you learn Win 8.

I am hating it less, and slowly beginning to learn how to use it. I think the touchscreen is mandatory, if you have that option.

It still is at home, I am still traveling with my old Win 7 laptop. Won;t take the new one until I am confident I know how to use it. A lot of the old shortcuts are still there, but why did they have to hide everything?

PS: Alt F4 comes in REAL handy to close programs and apps.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If anyone thinks they might want to upgrade to Windows 8 at some point, it would be a good idea to get at the bargain price of US $40 while you can. That price is available from MS only through January 31, after which the price for the upgrade version will jump to $200. You can download the file as an ISO image, burn it to a DVD and install at your leisure.

One thing about Windows 8 that's irked many people is its inability to provide a DVD movie playback facility. It was removed, I understand, because MS didn't want to keep paying for proprietary codecs. Right now you can get Windows Media Center free until January 31, and after that it will cost an extra $60. Of course you can avoid the whole issue by downloading the excellent free, open source VLC Media Player which will play almost any type of audio or video file. There's also the free GomPlayer, which is not quite as versatile as VLC.

Once again I'll highly recommend Stardock's Start8 which for $5 cures the primary ill of WIndows 8--the absence of the Start button on the desktop, and the inability to boot past the new Start screen directly to the familiar desktop.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Over the long holiday weekend I built a new desktop computer and had a decision to make about what operating system to use. I had used Windows XP since its release in 2001 until a year or so ago when I installed Vista, which was given to me by a friend. I didn't want to install an ugly old OS on new hardware, so I was torn between Windows 7 and the spanking brand new Windows 8, which was released just a few weeks ago. I discovered that until the end of January it can be had for US$40, so I decided to take the plunge.

After using it for a few days, I have decidedly mixed feelings. The installation went off without a hitch, but I found that there was already 500MB of updates to be downloaded and installed. Not too surprising, I guess, given Microsoft's typical rush-to-market tendencies. The OS is very quick and snappy, some of which must be attributed to my new hardware. There are definitely some pain-in-the-arse aspects though, not the least of which is that the OS is primarily intended for touch-screen use.

At startup the first thing you see is the "lock" screen--see the attachment. This is, as far as I can tell, completely useless. In order to proceed, you have click (or touch) on a little icon that takes you to the login screen, which is pretty much the same as in previous Windows versions. Once past the login, you find yourself on the "Start" screen, which is another pain. It's filled with "tiles," some of which are live and show continually updated information, most of which is linked to MS products such as Bing and MSN. There's a desktop that's mostly the same as in previous Windows versions with the notable exception of the absence of a Start button. If you spend most of your time working from the desktop you'll find yourself having to go back to the Start screen a lot, and to the "Apps" screen from there. There's a lot of jumping around unless you fill the desktop with shortcuts to frequently used programs.

I think that as time progresses we'll see updates that make things easier for people who use a mouse and keyboard rather than a touch screen. At least I hope that's the case. Expect to spend a lot of time learning how to get around and how things work in Windows 8.

If you decide to take advantage of the reduced price at the link above, an "Upgrade Adviser" will scan your system and let you know what might have to be updated before installation, and what might not work at all. In my case, I have a Konica-Minolta laser printer that's now defunct, and my Acronis True Image 2011 backup software also won't work. I knew this going in, however. The printer was nearing the end of its useful life anyway, and Acronis was offering a $20 upgrade to the 2013 version--the only one that will run under Windows 8--so that was mostly painless. I strongly advise you to visit the websites of your hardware manufacturers and look for Windows 8 drivers before you install the OS. The upgrade adviser might not catch everything.

I'd be interested in hearing from Covers who have installed Windows 8, or got it with a new PC. I think that over the next few months there will be a lot of unhappy neophytes who get new computers with the OS pre-installed and don't know which way to turn. For myself, I'm mostly OK with it, and now have the current Windows version for the first time since 2001 :lol:.

Took me forever to figure out how to access the power controls option.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Took me forever to figure out how to access the power controls option.

The search function has been vastly improved, but there's no indication of how to use it. On the Start screen, just start typing whatever it is you're looking for, such as power options. You can use the same search function for apps in the Windows Store, or just about anything that you're looking for.

It amazes me that there are several things about Windows 8 that were made better than in any of its predecessors, but you'll play hell trying to find them.

T

True Position

The search function has been vastly improved, but there's no indication of how to use it. On the Start screen, just start typing whatever it is you're looking for, such as power options. You can use the same search function for apps in the Windows Store, or just about anything that you're looking for.

It amazes me that there are several things about Windows 8 that were made better than in any of its predecessors, but you'll play hell trying to find them.

Windows 7's file browser has something similar. If you have a folder open you can just start typing the file name to find it.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Windows 7's file browser has something similar. If you have a folder open you can just start typing the file name to find it.

Yes but it's been extended to just about everything now in 8. I found it by accident. I inadvertently started to type something and the search screen popped up. Many people have searched (heh) in vain for a way to search the Windows Store without knowing that all they had to do was start typing.

Top Bottom