How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter information

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: How do you handle missing information?

That is about all you can do. The owner is usually so busy with running the company that you would want to keep their involvemnet in record keeping to an absolute minimum.

J

JaneB

The only thing I could do was note the information myself and write "per John Owner" or something similar.

Yup - find something pragmatic. Owners don't want to spend time filling in forms etc, (and are often the hardest people to 'corral' into the system. But I'm sympathetic to the fact that they're very busy, so I'd always aim to minimise the time on 'busywork' or stuff they can get other people - who work for them after all! to do it.

J

JaneB

As Jim said, address the root cause/s:

You talk to the people and ask them why they're not filling the stuff out correctly, and then you address that problem (or those problems).

The key thing is: why is this happening? (Good opportunity to practice what we preach to others, ie, do our own root cause analysis)

For example, Is the process too cumbersome? Is the form tedious? Is there a quicker/easier way to get the required record/s?

Owners/managers/executive are most unlikely to want to spend their precious time filling in forms/filing - and I'd argue that if they are, they're almost certainly neglecting other infinitely more important tasks.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Re: How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter informati

You can track % first time through correct, time to completion, etc. and post or send to supervisors to show "areas for improvement: required. Provide goals and request corrective actions if goals are not met. Show time of "rework" for chasing down late or incorrectly completed documents. Then, see if there is any upper management support.

If you don't get corrective actions, maybe an auditor will....at least an internal auditor.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter informati

What do you do with the guy who will just never sign off?...
Toss the violator and the supervisor who has allowed the practice to continue unabated as an example for the others.

Most likely no matter what you do or say less than the above will just go into one ear and out the other without some type of "motivation".

Time for a story, graphic but oh so true..........Many, many years ago we had a very serious problem with 7-11 type robberies in our county turning into homicides...Bang! For no reason at all the bad guys were just shooting the store clerks...and we had about a dozen or so of these things in like a 3 month period. We (law enforcement) warned, and warned and warnedtono avail...The Sheriff (Tommy Robinson) even went on TV and showed the bad guys an example of what to expect...While during a live press conference he pulled out a 12 guage and shot a dummy just a few feet away and said that "this" is what will happen to "YOU" the next time there is a 7-11 type robbery...Well guess what? Not 3 hours later we had a robbery and BANG, BANG, BANG...scratch 2 armed robbers and then just a couple of hours later a repeat performance across the county...After that armed robberies went the way of the Dodo bird for a good long time. (Tommy later got elected to Congress)

Sometimes you have to resort to extreme measures in order to effectively communicate your message and modify the behaviour of others.

J

JaneB

Sometimes you have to resort to extreme measures in order to effectively communicate your message and modify the behaviour of others.

Wouldn't you wish to be absolutely sure they really were the bad guys first? (Or do you favour shoot first, ask questions later?) Don't answer, that Randy. :lol:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Toss the violator and the supervisor who has allowed the practice to continue unabated as an example for the others.

Most likely no matter what you do or say less than the above will just go into one ear and out the other without some type of "motivation".
Great idea! A reversion to 19th century management techniques is exactly what's needed! Shoot first, ask questions later!

Time for a story, graphic but oh so true..........Many, many years ago we had a very serious problem with 7-11 type robberies in our county turning into homicides...Bang! For no reason at all the bad guys were just shooting the store clerks...and we had about a dozen or so of these things in like a 3 month period. We (law enforcement) warned, and warned and warnedtono avail...The Sheriff (Tommy Robinson) even went on TV and showed the bad guys an example of what to expect...While during a live press conference he pulled out a 12 guage and shot a dummy just a few feet away and said that "this" is what will happen to "YOU" the next time there is a 7-11 type robbery...Well guess what? Not 3 hours later we had a robbery and BANG, BANG, BANG...scratch 2 armed robbers and then just a couple of hours later a repeat performnce across the county...After that armed robberies went the way of the Dodo bird for a good long time. (Tommy later got elected to Congress)

It would be hard to imagine a more ill-fitting analogy.

Caster

An Early Cover

If these are product inspection forms or similar you could put the product on Hold for non conforming inspection results.

No being able to ship may get a bit more attention on the issue.

At the end of the day it is a cultural thing, this is just one symptom, this attitude likely runs across the entire plant in all departments, because it is allowed to happen by leadership.

Is it Git er done, or Git er done right? That last word makes all the difference.

P

Polly Pure Bread

Most importantly, do not enable them by filling it out yourself; have them fill in the missing information.:2cents:

i'd like to ask if it's ok to back track records (not completely filled-up forms) and fill them up completely? Can we undo the past? records exist after the fact. isn’t that doctoring the records?

L

LEDgible-man

i'd like to ask if it's ok to back track records (not completely filled-up forms) and fill them up completely? Can we undo the past? records exist after the fact. isn’t that doctoring the records?

I see no problem in that so long as the traceability is maintained.

I have finished/filled in old paperwork before, pulling all the appropriate data to fulfill the required information accordingly. What occurred later is that someone came to me instead of the original filer of the paperwork (because I signed my name as the reviser) even though I didn't have intimate necessary knowledge of the project.

That may have been a fluke though.

Top Bottom