How to Identify and Evaluate Environmental Aspects and Impacts

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Cause from the examples i have seen here they are rated from 1-5

Welcome Omeil,

The scorings are for determination of significance of aspects and their associated impacts. You are right that for legal requirements (not an aspect) it is either compliance or not.

M

Marty50

@Omeil...

On the attached sample spreadhseet I have used numbers 1-5 to rate but in the case of legislated or not I have used YES or NO.

Hope this is of some help.

Attachments

• Environmental Aspects Register Demo.xls
    271.5 KB · Views: 1,601
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Marty50

Oh and I meant to say, try changing the "Y' and "N" in that column and observe the effect. The right hand column should change color. The hyperlink wont work on my example but on my working copy it takes you to an Environmental Action Plan of which I can put a copy up if it's of any use.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Ya wanna get crazier?

What is the size of your greatest potential spill?

How close are you to a navigable waterway?

What is the potential for a spill to encroach offsite either above or below ground?

Are there any flora or fauna that could be effected by spilled materials?

Do you have any protected or endangered species of flora or fauna that could be effected?

How close is the aquafer?

What are your soil chacteristics?

See it can get real crazy real quick.

Keep it as simple and usuable as possible to suit your needs.
Simple as "...over the last 50 years, we've had only 4 significant coal ash disasters in the US, from approximately 500 coal ash deposits in the country..."?

Therefore, in a simplistic determination, coal ash "disposal" should not be a significant aspect, simply because the probability of an negative occurrence is so small....
When disposal of ash is deemed as non-significant, we don't pay attention to the issue. It is not regulated, either.

The results of over simplification:

What does coal ash contain?
Federal studies have long shown coal ash to contain significant quantities of heavy metals like arsenic, lead and selenium, which can cause cancer and neurological problems. But with no official word on the dangers of the sludge in Tennessee, displaced residents spent Christmas Eve worried about their health and their property, and wondering what to do.

Last edited:
W

wigan_clubby

Hi,

I am new to this forum.

I am currently looking into implementing an EMS for a UK Local Authority.

I have looked through the site and it is very helpful.

I have a question regarding aspects though. Looking at a lot of the posted examples of aspects registers, the level of detail doesn't seem very specific. For example, it might just say use of water (aspect) and resource use (impact). This seems pretty vague to me, but i assume it is fine?

I thought it would be necessary to identify the processes in detail and identify all the different aspects and impacts.

Regards

Ian

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome to the Cove, Ian.

I agree with your observation that some of the posted samples seem 'simple' and that could be because they originate from a professional practice occupying an office lot (that generates minimal waste).

The level of details should go up with size of operation, spread, complexity of operations and also potential damage to the environment.

D

db

I, too say hello!!! :bigwave:

In identifying your aspects, you do not need to get into too much detail. However, in determining the significance, you would look at the detail. Also, as you develop objectives, you sharpen the detail, and through your programs, you look at the aspects in even greater detail. So, you initially start out with just the aspect and the impact, and as the process progresses, the details will be examined.

minrah

Involved In Discussions
@Omeil...

On the attached sample spreadhseet I have used numbers 1-5 to rate but in the case of legislated or not I have used YES or NO.

Hope this is of some help.

While going through the spreadsheet, from cells G6:L17, whenever a cell is selected, a display window appears stating some comments. On pressing the 'eascape' button, the display window disappears. I tried a lot to search for this feature, but could not find it. :(:frust:
Can you please tell me how did you do it?

Thanks
:thanx:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
While going through the spreadsheet, from cells G6:L17, whenever a cell is selected, a display window appears stating some comments. On pressing the 'eascape' button, the display window disappears. I tried a lot to search for this feature, but could not find it. :(:frust:

Thanks

Marty's post + attachment that you are responding to is about 2 years old.
I hope Marty will read this and help.

Are there others who may be able to lend a hand?

Stijloor.

S

samsung

Thanks

Open the Excel workbook posted by Marty50, clink on to 'Data' tab and now click 'Data Validation'. Here you will find three tabs. Click 'input message'. Here's what you are searching for.

Hope it helps.

Top Bottom