IATF 16949:2016 8.5.1.2 - Operator Safety

randomusername

Registered
Long time reader/viewer of the invaluable information on Elsmar but this is my first post as I am unable to find another (recent) thread that discusses this particular issue.

We had our re-certification audit last week and we have picked up a minor n.c. for our work documents not including rules for operator safety. I demonstrated that our safety rules relate to site rules for the ppe that individuals wear (i.e, ear plugs, gloves etc.) and these are posted on the walls in the relevant work areas, but I was told that what we currently have is a health & safety requirement and does not fulfil the requirement of the clause as they are not work documents. Due to the simplistic nature of the job, we have no other role specific safety rules apart from ppe requirements and I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are regarding this.

I can quite easily place a folder/binder in the work area detailing this information, but the auditor kept mentioning a matrix document of what needs wearing in each area, so I am concerned that they already have a preconceived idea of what they are looking for, but I am also struggling to see this other than an unnecessary repeat of the information we already have available on display.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Shippy

Involved In Discussions
In other non IATF, high risk industries I have worked in, they had job safety analysis (JSA's) for each job function, and a PPE matrix for those job functions were posted. These documents were reviewed at new employee orientation, routed to employees when revised, and assessed annually. The JSA is designed to make employees aware of job specific hazards other than general safety ( always have guard in place, stay out of back of machine etc.).

randomusername

Registered
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

As part of employee induction/training we have what we know as 'Safe Working Procedures' which details such things as site rules, as well as when and where to use various ppe etc. These documents are reviewed annually or if a change is made to a process. These are then re-issued to employees alongside any toolbox talks, training etc. that may be needed. In addition reference copies of these are located on the notice board in the rest room. This was all provided to the auditor who stated that they were not work documents and as the IATF rule states that the operator safety rules shall be on the work documents continues to stand by the n.c. issued.

It might be worth us creating a matrix similar to the one you have described that correlates our Safe Working Procedures to the work areas they are required to be followed etc.

Thanks again

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
What type of mfg process?

By standardized “work documents“ I assume we are talking about routers, travelers and such. Assuming no specific safety requirements for that specific job, maybe a boilerplate statement on the traveler to follow department safety/ppe rules.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
We have standard safety information on each Operating Instruction. It's built into our Excel template. The we add any process specific safety info as the first step of the instructions.

randomusername

Registered
We are electrophoretic painters and we use a route card system. There are no specific safety requirements for production operatives apart from what ppe to wear (gloves, glasses, etc.) in what area. We are very limited on the room for safety instructions on the route cards, but after reading all the above, we are looking at putting a comment as per Golfman25's idea, of the need to ensure that all area specific ppe requirements are adhered to. As mentioned above I can also produce a matrix of the safety requirements for each area which we can add to our operator manuals that are located in each area.

Thanks again for everyone's help

KDenton

Registered
We have "Work Instructions" for each process, with a generic statement "Employees are required to wear the assigned PPE for the area they are working in". Each new employee is shown an example of the PPE for the area we put them in. And a posted picture of the required PPE for that area at the beginning and end of the line.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Long time reader/viewer of the invaluable information on Elsmar but this is my first post as I am unable to find another (recent) thread that discusses this particular issue.

We had our re-certification audit last week and we have picked up a minor n.c. for our work documents not including rules for operator safety. I demonstrated that our safety rules relate to site rules for the ppe that individuals wear (i.e, ear plugs, gloves etc.) and these are posted on the walls in the relevant work areas, but I was told that what we currently have is a health & safety requirement and does not fulfil the requirement of the clause as they are not work documents. Due to the simplistic nature of the job, we have no other role specific safety rules apart from ppe requirements and I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are regarding this.

I can quite easily place a folder/binder in the work area detailing this information, but the auditor kept mentioning a matrix document of what needs wearing in each area, so I am concerned that they already have a preconceived idea of what they are looking for, but I am also struggling to see this other than an unnecessary repeat of the information we already have available on display.
The auditor might want to see a matrix document, but this is by no means an IATF requirement. It says "standardized work documents shall also include rules for operator safety". Thats it. The standard doesn't dictate how this shall be done. Not even a note or helpful hint. Are your safety rules for required PPE not a "work document"?? I would say they are. Why did the auditor say they were not? The standard doesn't say "you shall have separate safety related work instruction in addition to those posted in relevant work area. 8.2.1.2, clause actually says "and visual standards". This is a reach for an NC based on interpretation not sanctioned in SI's.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hi randomusername,
could you please report the verbiage of the minor ncn elicited by the auditor with the violated clause and evidence reported?
Just to share . As said by the other contributors here, I do not think it is a ncn based upon you reported in your original post. It could be interesting to know if the registrar auditor also interviewed on the shop operators to check if they know safety rules applied to their activities.
Another question for you: do you have certification recorded in the system about the competences of the operators, including customer requirements, safety, environmental topics knowledge?

randomusername

Registered
Hi qusys,

On the report the violated clause is 8.5.1.2 and the statement of non-conformity was "work instructions - The current process is not fully effective". Evidence was stated as "it was noted that the standardised work documents sampled did not include rules for operator safety".
Verbally he did state that all staff were wearing the appropriate ppe as per the signage in the work area. Operators competency and training was also reviewed and was deemed satisfactory, but both the signage and training were health and safety related and as there wasn't anything on the work documents (route card) it wasn't in accordance with the clause and the n.c. was raised.
All operators have individual training records detailing their competencies which includes any CSR's, safety, environmental as well as any role specific requirements.

@Mikey324 - I attempted to debate and demonstrate that our training, signage etc. etc were all part of our standardise work documents, but as mentioned above he saw the route card as the work document and everything else was health and safety related.

Top Bottom