In-Process vs. Final Inspection

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
TBH I agree and the only time I get involved in inspection when the process has problems resulting in nonconforming product. Operators are expected to look after their own quality through in-process inspections but they are not relied on. We rely on getting the process as right as we can get it.

In some ways we are a smart organization however we do not use SPC as much as I'd like. We rely on knowing what we do and being open to new ideas. Those ideas often come from the operators themselves when they develop their own improvements to the process.

In our company those people using those phrases I mentioned earlier say those words but really their actions don't match. They inspect their own work, take responsibility for it then when things go wrong you will occasionally hear comments referring to final inspection by "quality". Not always the operator involved, he/she is often working on the solution not the blame.

I admit I don't know enough about Deming's SoPK (what book would you recommend getting btw?) to comment on how well we do against his ideas.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Deming was never one for "cookbook recipes." The old man was really a "basic outline" kind of guy, letting folks fill in the blanks in their own way.

Nine years ago, I wrote a sentence that seems to have some pertinence today:
"So, all the preceding gobblespeak should be taken into account when I say:
"Profound just means something like in-depth or combined overview and detail. Don't let the word prevent you from the concept.""

This sentence appears in a thread started back in 2004
Deming's SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge) Discussion

I'd like to say today that, over the years, I've found that SoPK is not as complicated and turgid as we made it seem in that long ago thread.

Today, if I were to give a four hour seminar on SoPK, I'd start with the four pillars
As I have understood SoPK, Deming had FOUR main Knowledges (groups/aspects?) of SoPK:
  1. Knowledge of Variation, that is, a knowledge of common cause and special variation.
  2. Knowledge of Systems, that is, understanding that all the parts of a business are related in such a way that if you focus on optimizing one part, other parts may suffer.
  3. Knowledge of Psychology, that is, what motivates people.
  4. Theory of Knowledge, that is, how we learn things.
BUT, I'd begin the seminar with item 4 and work back through 3, 2, 1.

I think folks need to understand that different folks learn best in different ways. Some people (like me) are very comfortable with words, others learn from pictures and charts. Still others learn from hands on doing. Some ... [you get the idea] Thus, hour 1 of my seminar would be devoted to understanding first how one learns best himself and then how best to accommodate the learning styles of others.

If you want to learn the rest, get me hired to present the seminar and I'll see you get a free seat.;)

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
If you want to learn the rest, get me hired to present the seminar and I'll see you get a free seat.;)

That would be good. However good I doubt I'd get you over here to UK to present the seminar. Not on my expenses at least. I guess I will have to keep relying on the seminar-lite I can get free from you (and others too) on the cove (sorry, my company is cheap so I have to be too).:(

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
New times, new tools: A webinar, perhaps?

/Claes
I haven't tried presenting one, yet. I was on the receiving end of one not too long ago and (strictly in MY opinion) it left a lot to be desired compared to an in-the-flesh one. That could all be due to the skill and experience of the presenter.

I recognize the audience can be immeasurably larger and a successful webinar can be held for on-demand non-participatory viewing for an extended period of time. (I wonder how Deming's seminars and speeches would hold up if viewed today?) I will explore the concept a little further. I'm old, but not so old I'm unwilling to try something new.

Of course, there's one major consideration:
I LIKE visiting new places and meeting new people, sharing dinner and drinks and conversation BEFORE and AFTER the presentation. Perhaps a seminar sponsor might just tape a live seminar and package it for resale (with royalties to me, of course!)

Top Bottom