Internal Auditor Competency based upon Skill Sets based on ISO 19011

S

samsung

Where do you get that from?

Agree with all your other points.
An auditor, in general, may not have sufficient technical expertise to suggest a CA although s/he may be an expert in auditing. On the other hand, even if s/he is capable to provide assistance in resolving the problem based on his/her knowledge & experience, IMO, s/he should abstain from doing so since it may transfer ownership of the problem from the auditee to the auditor.

The attached guidance from ISO APG, although meant for CB auditors, can be effectively applied for internal auditing as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• APG-ADDED_VALUE_AUDITS_VS_CONSULTANCY.doc
    131.5 KB · Views: 400
A

ashley.surrey

Not sure if it will be helpful - or timely, but I had notification on a free 30 minute webinar that BSI are running on the 12th August @ 14.30 GMT on 'The competencies and skills required for auditing'.

Its free to register and you can to it at this site https://events.bsi-uk.com/Webinars/index.xalter

:biglaugh:Before anyone asks I don't work for them so its not a plug!, but I did joing one last month on a different subject and it was 30 minutes well spent - and its free (we all like free things!)

AndyN

Moved On
Iam in the process of coming up with the Internal Quality Auditor competency matrix, Iam planning to use the below skill sets based on ISO 19011. Let me know if this is fine to start with.

List of Skills

1. Understanding the ISO 9001:2008 standard
2. Process and Value added auditing skills
3. Understanding customer requirements
4. Presentation skills
5. Communication skills
6. Suggesting and understanding the CA and PA
7. Management and Organizational policies and procedures

This is a good place to start. I wouldn't spend too much time on ISO 19011, since much of it is for external auditors, however there's some parts you should also consider which covers many features of competency. Try this for guidance: https://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail.php?id=60

BTW - Project Management skills for auditors is a total overkill, IMHO!

J

JaneB

Project Management skills for auditors is a total overkill, IMHO!
Yes, I agree completely. It's just advocating expensive training for little reason. Why? :confused:

It could be relevant if your auditors were auditing in an area where project management was a critical competency and they were auditing work of project managers.

I presume of course we're talking professional project management competencies as per the Project Management Institute PMI and the nine knowledge areas described in the PMBOK, rather than just generic-type of skills such as time management and the like.

Randy

Super Moderator
Instead of grasping at straws, re-inventing fire and re-creating the wheel why not just follow along with 19011, 7.1-7.6 and the example provided in Table 3?

Thanks a lot for providing valuable comments, by mistake it is typed as 9 it should have been 10011, but you comment is really valid
madan1916,if you're planning on using 10011 you're 8 years behind the power curve and referencing an out of date document that is no longer valid nor in use.

Last edited:
M

madan1916

Thanks a lot for the information, will look into 19011, 7.1-7.6 and the example provided in Table 3.

J

JaneB

Instead of grasping at straws, re-inventing fire and re-creating the wheel why not just follow along with 19011, 7.1-7.6 and the example provided in Table 3?
Yes... although keeping in mind these are mainly intended for external auditors. But the parts about attributes, competencies etc are useful. And avoid re-inventing circular objects, as you so eloquently point out. :lol:

Hi,

ISO-19011 (2002) is under revision and the DIS ISO-19011 dated 17 June 2010 is already under circulation for comments. The DIS ISO-19011 refers to the evaluation of audit teams conducting internal audits. Appendix B gives guidelines on this subject. Some of the characteristics suggested for evaluation of internal auditors in this document are:

1. Personal Behaviour (like ethical behaviour, open mindedness etc.)
2. Generic Knowledge and skills (like audit principles, procedures, processes, techniques, Management systems, organizational situation, legal and other requirements, risk assessment etc.)
3. Industry (Sector) specific skills (Terminology, Process, Technology)
4. Organization specific skills (Terminology, process, technology, Statistical techniques, products and services, risk, interested parties)
5. Management System specific skills (terminology, process, technology, statistical techniques, risk)

You may like to use the above in evolving your assessment system for internal auditors.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

V

vanputten

Why would an auditor need to know customer requirements? Because ISO 9001 compliant / registered system need to "determine requirements specified by the customer..." Because the ISO 9001 international standard, plus customer requirements and the organization's planned arrangements make up the audit criteria. Because an organization is in business to provide a product that meets or exceeds the customer's requirements and hopefully leads to a satisfied customer.

It may be helpful to review ISO 19011S:2008 This is the published US version with a supplement for 1st and 2nd party audits.

Top Bottom