Interviewing a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration - Registrar's Quality Manual

J

JaneB

Wrong on all 3 points, in my opinion.
Mine too.

The majority of organisations just take enough care or trouble in selecting a CB, so congrats for aiming to do it better.

'Better' is of course a subjective opinion. What's 'better' depends upon what you want from a certifier? Just want the certificate on the wall at the lowest possible price? Need the biggest or the most well known? Or is value important to you, and a good relationship with high levels of service?

CBs are most definitely not the same, ranging from 'oh my God, don't go near 'em unless $$ is your sole criteria and even then beware' to those who put considerable attention on selecting suitable audit personnel and training them/developing them. I'd always go for the latter, myself. But then, I am biassed towards professional and respected CBs who are (not coincidentally) also focussed on providing value and service.

Think about how you select other professional service providers, eg, doctors, dentists, lawyers and perhaps consultants. And do a lot of checking! The sheer range of opinions and experiences on the Cove, as well as anecdotes of 'auditors from hell' should be a clue to the need.

Just picking the first one you've heard of / the cheapest? Well, how well would you expect that to work? :confused:

I might ask to see their manual. Like Jim, I am biased towards organisations and individuals who value info communicated clearly.

P

Polly Pure Bread

"lowly sales folk"
"lowly sales folk"
"lowly sales folk"

:lmao:

I'm curious about your reason for asking for a manual.

Laughter is not the best medicine for stomach. I was laughing so hard and it hurts.

Client is asking for quality manual of a registrar. :lmao::lmao:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I am coming ONLY from the perspective of Clients liking your certification. I would go as far as to say that if you are planning on implementing a GOOD QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM that the company will actually use, a small registrar may be the best bet...but... Right or wrong, a lot of people get ISO certified to get more business. In that case, i would say go with a "household" name.​

It is hard to say what people will think. I am represented by both a large global registrar and a medium sized one. Both have a good rep and are pretty well known. Experiemced buyers learn which registrars to avoid. The rest are probably seen as acceptable. I think the top 3 biggest factors are 1. company management committed to building and using a good system,
2. a good auditor who is expereinced and more than just "competent,"
3. a registrar who is committed providing a good legitimate service.

I would not focus solely on the CB. They play a role but the difference between two good registrars is made up in point # 1 and 2.

J

JaneB

Client is asking for quality manual of a registrar. :lmao::lmao:
I don't know why you think this is laughable.

Try reframing it to: a client (or potential client) is asking to see the quality manual of one of its suppliers.

Here for some of the CBs, you can download their manual from their website; if not, they'll email a copy for the asking. Why on earth would this not be the case?

P

Polly Pure Bread

I don't know why you think this is laughable.

Try reframing it to: a client (or potential client) is asking to see the quality manual of one of its suppliers.

Here for some of the CBs, you can download their manual from their website; if not, they'll email a copy for the asking. Why on earth would this not be the case?

Yes, it’s not a laughing thing. It’s just unusual that a client to ask for CB’s manual. We all know that it’s CB’s auditor who request for client’s manual during desk study or even at the stage 2 audit. Of course, client can also request and needs to know more who the CB is.

J

joanas bruning hicks

LexieB;

All CB's have to follow 17021. This is the ISO version that that CB's operate in accordance to. This document is above requirements outlined in ISO.
And Oh yes I'm a loley sales person that happens to have participated in the "Critical Safety Items" revision to AS, spearheaded by Boeing and Bell and will be attending the AAQG conference in Charlotte, Sept 15-18th.

B

brahmaiah

We have to resign to the fact that A uniform regulation of quality of CBs is very difficult.There are two ways by which the QMS of an organization can maintain quality..One by self decipline by the organization the other by a whipping OEM customer.The registrars are focussed more on their survival and profits.

V.J.Brahmaiah

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
We have to resign to the fact that A uniform regulation of quality of CBs is very difficult.There are two ways by which the QMS of an organization can maintain quality..One by self decipline by the organization the other by a whipping OEM customer.The registrars are focussed more on their survival and profits.

V.J.Brahmaiah

I don't think that is a fair statement, at least not in the US and Europe. I have seen many good registrars and auditors, and only some not so good.

However, I agree that in some newer developing countries, there are a number of registrars who are playing games.

J

jcbodie

You are obviously not talking to the right Registrar's. I've worked for 3 and all had Quality Manuals and they will give you CV's/Resumes on any Auditor you are interested in. No strings attached.

Top Bottom