ISO 9001 Regarding Preventative Maintenance

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
OP kind of a tough crowd here. He's just looking for a min. compliant maintenance process, in line with what the company is doing already. They are running machining centers. Not a lot to do there. Basically keep lubrication/coolant systems fresh and watch the spindle hours and run appropriate checks when you hit those hours. All should be in the manufacturers machine manual. ISO 9001 doesn't really require all that much.

Sharpie is your friend. Maybe all you need is for the operators to record their checks right on the machine.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Well he said he didn’t even want that. He even made fun of “change your oil in your car” analogy. Seriously. He can write his own template that meets his idea of the minimum compliance. His responses indicate that he doesn’t want our advice or help other than to give him a template. In other words he wants US to do his minimal task

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
Well he said he didn’t even want that. He even made fun of “change your oil in your car” analogy. Seriously. He can write his own template that meets his idea of the minimum compliance. His responses indicate that he doesn’t want our advice or help other than to give him a template. In other words he wants US to do his minimal task
You are mistaken, I wasn't looking for a handout, nor did indicate I didn't want anything to do anything. I was asking for clarification on if it really makes a difference or not whether I create my own generic template, as I have stated, or if I can bypass that due to the owners wishes on minimal paperwork.

Randy

Super Moderator
Run until failure as a maintenance philosophy? Very sound and solid as well as cost avoidance type plan.

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
Most of us won’t enable a “just get by” effort. Most people here really care about quality not pieces of paper. Sorry you are in this position, but you may not find much help here. Good luck to you.
All i'm trying to do is understand the purpose and I keep getting snarky replies as if i'm trying to do something unethical. I am fully aware there is better ways to go about this, I trying to understand the benefit is all.

Kronos147

I want to achieve bare bones minimum certification.
"The adoption of a quality management system is a strategic decision for an organization that can help to improve its overall performance and provide a sound basis for sustainable development initiatives."

I think that is in the standard somewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, perhaps just audit maintenance and find the gaps. Ask the process owners (or the people performing the tasks) how they propose to correct the gaps.

Good luck

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
Run until failure as a maintenance philosophy? Very sound and solid as well as cost avoidance type plan.

I just asked a question. Sometimes I see things and it triggers a question. I've never heard of anyone running expensive mfg plant machinery to failure vs. doing maintenance is all. It made me wonder if the business owner ever changed the oil in his car, and if so, how he determined the "need" to do so. Or does he run his automobiles to failure, also?

Sounds like some maybe maintenance is being done "as needed" but not on a "schedule". Makes me wonder how the "need" is determined, but if that is gonna cause consternation, you don't have to reply.
Your assumption is correct, maintenance is being done, but not being documented because its not on a "set schedule". To me, the need would be determined based on manufacturer recommendations and be controlled through employee training records.

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
OP kind of a tough crowd here. He's just looking for a min. compliant maintenance process, in line with what the company is doing already. They are running machining centers. Not a lot to do there. Basically keep lubrication/coolant systems fresh and watch the spindle hours and run appropriate checks when you hit those hours. All should be in the manufacturers machine manual. ISO 9001 doesn't really require all that much.

Sharpie is your friend. Maybe all you need is for the operators to record their checks right on the machine.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to portray.

Golfman25

I'm not reading that at all. But the problem with the "change your oil" analogy is some people what a 6 page documented procedure, with records, signed by The Pope. While others are perfectly fine with -- the oil change due light came on, so I stopped and had my oil changed. :)

Top Bottom