Job Traveler Guidance - Frequent changes in the part design

G

gfreely

We recently ran into a situation at my work and I have scoured the Cove but found no direct help.

We use Travelers for units which are embarking on the Realisation Process. Sometimes, there will be so many revision changes on the part design, or sequences of the job added/removed to the point that the traveller looks like the old map in the glove box from a '68 Bug.

We can print out a "new" and updated copy, yet the original signatures are on the OLD router for work completed thus far.

Our procedure states that "major revisions or multiple sequence additions/deletions shall require a new process routing to be generated"...but no guidance (in the procedure or in any WI) as to how to go about capturing the original information (signatures/dates) from the old copy.

I am tasking myself with looking for a way to standardize and document this process to avoid everybody performing this task the way that works best for THEM.

Any suggestions? How does anyone else handle this?

Thanks!

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Job Traveler Guidance

We recently ran into a situation at my work and I have scoured the Cove but found no direct help.

We use Travelers for units which are embarking on the Realisation Process. Sometimes, there will be so many revision changes on the part design, or sequences of the job added/removed to the point that the traveller looks like the old map in the glove box from a '68 Bug.

We can print out a "new" and updated copy, yet the original signatures are on the OLD router for work completed thus far.

Our procedure states that "major revisions or multiple sequence additions/deletions shall require a new process routing to be generated"...but no guidance (in the procedure or in any WI) as to how to go about capturing the original information (signatures/dates) from the old copy.

I am tasking myself with looking for a way to standardize and document this process to avoid everybody performing this task the way that works best for THEM.

Any suggestions? How does anyone else handle this?

Thanks!

can you simply attach the signed versions to any newer version and keep them all together as it travels?

with all the changes it looks like you make you may end up with a dozen pages, but the pages will be signed by the appropriate people at the appropriate time and butts will be covered.

I'm suggesing this as a stopgap measure... I'm sure there is a far more elegant way of doing it... liek electronic signatures or bar code scanning.

G

gfreely

That is kind of what we do now. It works in the interim. I see some of them come through Quality looking like a doodle-pad from all of the line-outs, initials, and corrections...not to mention the "N/A"s...

I want to update the procedure and am looking for suggestions/ideas on how to textualize (new word?) the guidance. I am writing up Option 1 as doing what we do now. I don't care for it, but at least it keeps your documentation safe.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

That is kind of what we do now. It works in the interim. I see some of them come through Quality looking like a doodle-pad from all of the line-outs, initials, and corrections...not to mention the "N/A"s...

I want to update the procedure and am looking for suggestions/ideas on how to textualize (new word?) the guidance. I am writing up Option 1 as doing what we do now. I don't care for it, but at least it keeps your documentation safe.

I probably wouldn't textualize (yes -it's a real word, I looked it up).
I'd do a flow chart to represent it graphically.
But that's my preferred style. Doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Can you attach what you have for us to review (with any sensitive information, company names, etc. removed of course)?

B

Bill Pflanz

With so many changes, are you really routing a preliminary design versus a close to final design? Is there some way you can start the routing a little later in the process?

Bill Pflanz

G

gfreely

I know, right? It sounds like we are building 'prototypes'! lol In essence, we are. Each design is custom, so sometimes the design or parameters are 'reved up'.

I really can't send anything to review, I can just describe it.

What it boils down to is document control and revision I think. But unlike a procedure which just gets signed off once at the end, the routers we use are signed off at each "sequence" throughout the manufacturing and testing of product. So if there are sequences added, deleted, or modified until the router gets confusing, we need to print off a new copy of the latest revision. It is too hard to re-obtain all of the original signatures so we have been just attaching the new copy to the old one and having any remaining sigs go onto the new copy.

There's got to be a better way...

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
If you want to use a traveler format for this, I have seen cases where the traveler has some boilerplate items that apply to all or most orders, and left spaces to fill in sections that are unique to this particular job. A semi-custom router, if you will. In this case, only the preprinted router template would have to be doc-controlled. There is also the approach a car service department uses, a preprinted form with many options, and the mechanic selects those that apply.

Top Bottom