Light Rail Industry Standards and Requirements

M

Melting_Iceberg

Does anyone know if the light rail industry [Metro Link] typically become compliant to TS/ISO/AS? What is typically used for First Article Inspections? Also, I would presume that normal automotive requirements of performing the FAI off 300pc production run and obtaining spc from 30pc capability study is not applicable on many parts being such the demand is not there to justify running those types of quantities.......what is typically agreed on?

Any information regarding light rail industry quality standards, etc. would be greatly appreciated.:thanks:

AndyN

Moved On
TS and AS don't apply to a light railway. There is a railway standard know as "IRIS" - are you aware of this requirement?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There isn't much here on IRIS, but click the iris thread tag for the existing discussions.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Attachments

• GM:RT2450 - Qualification of Suppliers of Safety Critical Engineering Products and Services.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 372

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Don't know the accuracy of this, but here is an ASQ presentation on a DC Metro extension.

https://www.asq0511.org/Presentations/201109/ASQ0511-201109DullesRail.pdf

Slide 15 lists:

PROJECT QUALITY ASSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
FEDERAL TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION (FTA)
Quality Assurance and Quality Control Guidelines, February 2002
Based upon ISO 9001-1994, Quality Systems – Model for Quality Assurance in Design, Development, production, Installation, and Servicing
METROPOLITAN WASHINGTON AIRPORTS AUTHORITY (AIRPORTS AUTHORITY)
Quality Program Plan
Meets FTA requirements above and establishes Quality Assurance requirements for all Project Participants
DULLES TRANSIT PARTNERS
Project Quality Management System Manual
Meets Airports Authority’s Quality Program Plan Requirements and ANSI/ISO/ASQ Q9001-2000

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have just moved to this industry and IRIS and ISO9001 are the most common for the quality management system.
TS I think is not really for railway unless someone would voluenterly pick that up.
For FAI common sense sounds a good starting point to be utilized :)

The required set of standards are mostly up to the car builder expectation, the one is doing the homologation.
And of course there is a different set of standards for EU and for the US.

Cheers!

M

Melting_Iceberg

No, wasn't aware of IRIS. Just considering getting into this sector and wanted to better understand requirements. I will keep doing research. Appreciate the feedback.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
IRIS ("Light Rail") is a niche field. Research On! Let us know if you find something that you can add to this discussion thread.

Feedback from others who visit here will be appreciated.

And now, the obligatory ISO questions come to IRIS, as in,

"Section 4.2.1 - • Creation of a matrix showing cross references from IRIS requirements to the Quality Manual and the Business Management System"

Since IRIS has just finished importing the text of 9001:2008 into the IRIS system, how will it handle the 2015 version? Since no Quality Manual will be required, how does one maintain a matrix?

I guess this will be in play also -

"..Section 5.5.2

• In addition to a management representative, a member of management must be appointed to provide Customer Relationship Management. These roles may be held by the same person..."

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
hogheavenfarm,

No problem.

The documented information we use to describe our management system is entirely up to us so long as it works. And we may see that ISO 9001:2015 specifies competence requirements that will apply to top management.

Your process-based management system should easily conform to both IRIS and ISO 9001:2015.

Watch out for the specified IRIS knock-out requirements though!

John

Top Bottom