Malware affecting my computer operation

K

KCIPOH

Hello IT Cove expert,

Need your help immediately :

My office computer suddenly automatically installed a internet security antivirus and suddenly it blocked all those microsoft office programs as well as web browser from executing.

A while later (~10 mins), it came back to seems like like normal where i'm able to reopen back those excel, word, powerpoint programs and web browser as well. and i quickly performed a full virus scan using Microsoft Security Essentials and it detected some malware and i choose the "remove" action.

First i thought it should be ok, but once i restart my computer, it blocked all those programs again and can open those programs again after around 10 mins later.

I even try to see whether my printer will be working, and i found the driver has been removed and when i go to "printer and faxes" and click "add a printer", an error message pop up saying "operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running". my printer model is canon pixma - ip1880, i tried to download the printer driver and an error message with "processing cannot be continued because the Print Spooler service has been stopped. Restart the computer to start the Print Spooler service and then try again".

I tried to restart my computer after this but still cannot.

What is happening actually and please guide me to troubleshooting. Thank you.

PLEASE HELP ME, URGENT :confused:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
There will be far more knowledgeable people than me on this but can you start in safe mode? If so you could try going back to a restore point before the problem occurred. Or you may be able to run anti-virus from safe mode. If you can, try using the free version of malwarebytes, I get good results from using it.

I tried to restart my computer after this but still cannot.
You mean you are unable to start it at all? Colins advice may help you. It often works wonders. If not, it is important that you do not obey any requests to restart: The malware will probably use that opportunity to install even more junk.

PLEASE HELP ME, URGENT :confused:
I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. It is a real pest to get something like that in your machine, and if the above hints are not successful, my advice is to get immediate help from someone who really knows how to deal with those things. Everything you do from now on, until you are rid of the pest may cause even worse problems, and you could lose your data. Once more: Get help.

/Claes

G

Gert Sorensen

Been there, done that.

This usually works - it does take a while though.

• Enter the computer in safe mode with network.
  • Download Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • Install and execute both.
  • Run you virusscanner.
  • DISABLE system restore.
  • Reboot to safe mode
  • Scan again.
  • If all clear, reboot to normal mode and check that it still works.
  • Re-enable system restore.
:bigwave:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I assume this is a Windows PC.

Of all things, try to get all the data files you have on that drive backed up onto another drive or DVDs before you do anything else.

I did one for someone about 2 weeks ago. It took me about 2 days to do everything.

Often the only *real* solution is to fully format the hard drive and reinstall from the "restore" disks which came with your computer (The computer I worked on was an HP and there were no "restore" disks. HP charged me US$7 and the disks came in 2 days via UPS.), and then reinstalling every program.

I do agree with those in the above posts - It's best to get an expert to do the recovery/restore.

K

KCIPOH

Hello guys,

Really appreciate all your advice and after i downloaded the latest updates and scan a few times using microsoft security essentials and avira antivirus, my computer are getting better.

Regarding the printer spooler not running error message, i searched google by using the keyword "printer spooler error" and found on eHow.com the solutions for this error, the malware actually interrupt and disable the system inside and by following the instructions, i managed to solve the printer spooler problem.

But even though i solve the printer spooler problem and the malware seems to be remove, i'm still wondering on whether there is anything which is unscan by the antivirus to ensure throughly clean my computer and you all have given me great suggestion on the malwarebytes and spybot.

Thank you all for your immediate respond and really appreciate it, good job everyone :applause::thanx:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The thing that most often happens that isn't always noticed immediately is problems with changes to the Registry. So if unusual things happen now and again that "don't make sense" there may have been changes to the Registry.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I'm a little late, but the free Kaspersky Rescue Disk is a good thing to have around. It comes in the form of a CD image (ISO) file that you burn to a CD. ImgBurn is a good free ISO burner and general CD-burning program that will do the job.

A bootable CD is created (or flash drive if your computer can be booted from one) and a thorough scan is done without having the OS in memory. Expect the scan to take a long time. If you use one or two of the other tools mentioned in the thread as well as the Kaspersky scan and there are still problems, it will probably be best to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

In anticipation of this kind of situation, in addition to my regular file backups (I use Acronis True Image) I have a duplicate of my system drive in a USB enclosure, and once a week I make a clone. If disaster strikes I can just remove the infected drive and install the clone, along with restoring the file backups that might have been done since the clone was made.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I would still have your computer looked at. While you may have cleaned the main problem, you still may have a root kit or a dormant Trojan that may come back.

Go to one of the ASAP websites, read their FAQ, and post ther requested logs. Their sites are free of charge (or most of them anyway).

In the future, you should keep one anti-virus, and a anti spyware and anti adware program. Free versions are available. Also, youshould get a good Firewall. if you have XP, I would disable the Windows Firewall and install a better one (free versions available too).

Last edited:
Top Bottom