Management review - how do you do your meeting? to get best response and involvement? and outputs

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
the way i have done it with a presentation and summary of all sections and evidence covered / collated and all senior managers there to discuss and listen to key points .
How long is your presentation? Is it a death by PowerPoint approach? What language do you use in your presentation? Quality jargons? ISO-ese? How you present it is as important as what you present. You need to adequate your participation in this meeting to the senior management corporate culture you are currently facing. Some organizations abhor monotonous senseless meetings. You must understand what is perceived as valuable by your audience and adjust.

Good luck

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
If anybody besides me had a sense of humor, I'd distribute ISO 9001 bingo cards at the MR meetings and give out prizes.

I already have to restrain myself from starting one of those pools every external audit, where employees buy a square for a dollar, then I assign all the numbers and letters of the ISO elements and sub clauses, then the squares our nonconformances fall on get paid an appropriate division of the pool

But again, only I think it's funny.

Starting to go off topic, but all I can think is that if you could make the bets and payouts anonymous, that could be an incredible way of targeting problem areas in the QMS.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
You must understand what is perceived as valuable by your audience and adjust.

@Sidney Vianna nailed it. What's important to them? Impact to $$ tends to open some eyes. (Because we had this issue, it cost us $$ to remediate and will continue to cost $$ until we resolve the underlying issue.) I route a "pre-meeting" set of slides covering all the mundane stuff. That allows us to focus discussions on the pain points (and to applaud successes).

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
If anybody besides me had a sense of humor, I'd distribute ISO 9001 bingo cards at the MR meetings and give out prizes.

I already have to restrain myself from starting one of those pools every external audit, where employees buy a square for a dollar, then I assign all the numbers and letters of the ISO elements and sub clauses, then the squares our nonconformances fall on get paid an appropriate division of the pool

But again, only I think it's funny.

@normzone I'd happily come work with you and attend those meetings :biglaugh:Apparently you're not the ONLY one who would find it funny.

This was a perfect day for me to read this thread as we just conducted our management review meeting this morning. I think one important thing is getting the timing right. Too frequent leads to not enough to report and the feeling of beating issues to death. Too infrequent leads to talking about old issues no one remembers or cares about anymore and waaaaay too long a meeting.

Another important thing is making it really everyone's meeting. I put together the slide decks and carry over all the action items from the last MRM and add my specific info and then ask the other department heads to fill in both their required info and any new topics they want to add. Then in the meeting I'm really just the facilitator and we each speak to our own topics. This way everyone is an equally active participant and they all get their opportunities both to showcase the accomplishments they're proud of and to raise issues that are affecting their work and bring them to top management's attention.

This is the only job I've had where I had anything to do with MR so maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe there's something to this. It works well here and that's all I can really speak to. Meetings are engaging and productive.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Starting to go off topic, but all I can think is that if you could make the bets and payouts anonymous, that could be an incredible way of targeting problem areas in the QMS.

Oh, Vegas - style gambling on this topic sounds complex but interesting - the payoff on a calibration nonconformance would be low with the odds in the favor of the house, unless you could nail the exact type of tool that triggered the incident.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
@normzone I'd happily come work with you and attend those meetings :biglaugh:Apparently you're not the ONLY one who would find it funny.

This was a perfect day for me to read this thread as we just conducted our management review meeting this morning. I think one important thing is getting the timing right. Too frequent leads to not enough to report and the feeling of beating issues to death. Too infrequent leads to talking about old issues no one remembers or cares about anymore and waaaaay too long a meeting.

Another important thing is making it really everyone's meeting. I put together the slide decks and carry over all the action items from the last MRM and add my specific info and then ask the other department heads to fill in both their required info and any new topics they want to add. Then in the meeting I'm really just the facilitator and we each speak to our own topics. This way everyone is an equally active participant and they all get their opportunities both to showcase the accomplishments they're proud of and to raise issues that are affecting their work and bring them to top management's attention.

This is the only job I've had where I had anything to do with MR so maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe there's something to this. It works well here and that's all I can really speak to. Meetings are engaging and productive.

What is the size of your organization?

DariusPlumdon

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Over the years I have seen many different formats, there is no single right answer, it is a question of what works best for your company. I know that statement alone is no help, so here are some ideas that have worked well in the past.

Duration
- Set a fixed short meeting slot (say 1 hour) with the focus on identify actions to take away to drive improvements, OR
- Have a pre meeting which each key group you have, this will differ between companies (e.g. Core teams, Warehouse, Sales, Design) any then have a wrap up meeting with 1 or 2 reps from each key group and Top Management

Material
- The best IMS review I every s\w has everything on a single printed A3 sheet, no death by ppt & no laptops to hand to get lost in the detail. This is scary for some attendee, as they then have to understand their area and what is presented
- Focus on the Quality Objectives, but do not get bogged down by the term 'Quality Objectives', if people call them group targets, performance targets, metric driven goals, or anything else that is OK, these figures are the measure of the Quality Objective, but that is detail, look at the bigger picture!

The two single best pieces of advice are:
- Ask someone as senior as possible who can speak openly to you what they REALLY what to get out of the meeting, some people are purely metrics focused, other want to discuss things they do do see in weekly/monthly metrics dashboard
- For the first meeting you are unlikely to get things done exactly how you think is best; aim at getting buy in, keep it simple & look to enhance things over time

All the best

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
My favorite is the advice to make the meeting meaningful. This should be a business update, not an assignment or hostage situation.

First thing to point out is that none of the standards I work with require everything to be covered in every meeting. Just ensure everything gets covered at least once in the registration cycle.

Second thing to point out is that some topics should be covered more often than others. For example, process performance is something that realistically should be covered more than once a year. This is of course based on why, and how much regret would be felt if information was not reviewed and responded to sooner.

Third thing to point out is that none of the standards I work with stipulate what level of management looks at what. I have very often seen "Core Team" meetings where process performance is covered, while other subjects such as trends in vendor performance get reviewed by a different level of management. This is, of course dependent on the organization's size and management structure.

Fourth thing is to remember that while management review needs to eventually cover every thing in the clause at least once in the registration cycle, nothing says you can't add other subjects. It is a business meeting, to review things as a management team would review performance against the Business Plan.

I have seen monthly meetings held for certain subjects, which allowed a deep dive that the management team found necessary for their best oversight. In the course of 36 of these meetings, everything got covered at least once in the 3-year registration period. This is easy to audit if using the matrix approach and ticking off which subjects were covered when.

Outputs can be in the form of meeting minutes, or to-do lists as part of the decisions reached, or other useful format that can be included as a refresher int he next Review.

I hope this helps.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
We are currently at 5 full time administrative and 3 manufacturing people.
I am hoping you treat the Management Review like a business plan review. Keep it relevant. Yes, you will need to cover all the subclauses but there is no need to review all of them at every review. Make a schedule that works for your team, and feel free to hold ad-hoc meetings to cover needed issues as they arise. When you do, give yourself credit for them by keeping some notes of what gets decided. In a further meeting, revisit that and see if the actions resulting from those decisions were effective. This is basically all it is.

Top Bottom