Measuring Corrective and Preventive Action System Effectiveness

S

Sandra Gauvin

This is my first time blogging....It's been my experience that nonconformance investigations are quickly closed out to meet a timeline prescibed in an SOP and to release product, which ultimately leads to poor investigations, incorrect root cause(s), and finally ineffective CAs. Take a look at the number of new nonconformance investigations per month and if it's increasing then it's usually a good indication that you're not getting to root cause (assuming you didn't introduce a new product)...if the root cause(s) is incorrect, then your CA will also be incorrect.

M

mjbupp

Anyone ever consider measuring the reduction of RISK as the measure of corrective or preventive action? If what you did lowers the occurrence or increases the likelihood of detection of a problem then you have reduced risk of the problem. FMEA concept of RPN - severity x occurrence x detection. Of course, you have to have an FMEA for the process or system in which the problem occurs.

S

Sandra Gauvin

Yes....However, you just have to be cautious that people don't select a lower risk ratings so that you have a less complicated Corrective Action, otherwise you won't have a true indication of the effectiveness. I've seen this happen when people are spread too thin.

Top Bottom