Performing product audits in a manufacturing facility

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
I'm looking to put together a process for performing product audits in a manufacturing facility. The goal is to randomly (or pre-planned) audit a product at different stages of assembly, after assembly and/or in stock prior to shipping. The current process has the operators inspect their own work, this would be above that to assure workmanship is acceptable, all documentation is complete, correct number of parts, etc. We have a variety of different products and I'm struggling to come up with a "generic" checklist and procedure that would cover most of the products. Does anyone have a procedure/checklist they can share? Thank you

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
Are you trying to figure out how to do in process inspections or quality/control plan audits?
I guess they will be in-process/final inspections, however, its above that.. Its auditing the product(by someone other than the operator) to assure all the steps are being followed, proper documentation being used, proper documentation being generated, looking at workmanship, testing if required etc.. In-Process inspections and final inspections will still be performed by the operators, this will be more on the overall product quality audit.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Sounds like you're talking about a manufacturing process audit. Your checklist will be you control plan and process documentation. You can pick some of the common areas to highlight. So we want to make sure in process inspections are proper, or product identification -- areas of prior concern -- so we highlight those.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Product audit can be done referring to the control plan and inspecting all dimensions and performing the tests as specified in the control plan (starting from production stages to delivery).
Attached herewith a format for your reference.

Attachments

• F-QAD-3.xlsx
    31.4 KB · Views: 382

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
Sounds like you're talking about a manufacturing process audit. Your checklist will be you control plan and process documentation. You can pick some of the common areas to highlight. So we want to make sure in process inspections are proper, or product identification -- areas of prior concern -- so we highlight those.
Thank you for your response.. I didn't want to call it a process audit because I want to focus on the product itself, we already perform our internal ISO audits, I really want to make sure the product is meeting all the requirements, which means inspecting the actual products. My thought is that this process will be a mix of both product and process. The reason for this is because of some escapes we have had where documentation wasn't complete, parts missing from pick list, and workmanship issues found on the product.

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
Product audit can be done referring to the control plan and inspecting all dimensions and performing the tests as specified in the control plan (starting from production stages to delivery).
Attached herewith a format for your reference.
Thank you for your response and for sharing the checksheet. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. One caveat here is that we do not have control plans in place. We have very detailed work instructions, but there are no FMEA or CP, which once I get through this, I would like to try to implement.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Thank you for your response.. I didn't want to call it a process audit because I want to focus on the product itself, we already perform our internal ISO audits, I really want to make sure the product is meeting all the requirements, which means inspecting the actual products. My thought is that this process will be a mix of both product and process. The reason for this is because of some escapes we have had where documentation wasn't complete, parts missing from pick list, and workmanship issues found on the product.

Yeah, I wouldn't get caught up in terminology. We do both a "product audit" and a "manufacturing process audit" (IATF terms) -- which are both part number specific. Basically follows a specific part forward (or backwards) from Raw material to Shipment. We check every step of the way that all is properly done and documented. It might take a week or two to complete in real time. We also to a general manufacturing audit as well -- this is more are machines/WIP tagged, non-conforming material identification, calibrations, etc. It is basically the state of manufacturing on that specific day.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Thank you for your response and for sharing the checksheet. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. One caveat here is that we do not have control plans in place. We have very detailed work instructions, but there are no FMEA or CP, which once I get through this, I would like to try to implement.
Then refer the drawing and work instructions. Identify dimensions being maintained stage-wise. Prepare checklist accordingly.

Top Bottom