Ppk/Cpk for geometrical true position of hole with MMC

D

Dave Dunn

Calculating capability on true position is problematic enough, even without having to worry about adding the bonus tolerance for MMC. Since the number reported for position is not indicative of whether the position is erring in X or Y, or positive/negative in those directions, results can't be relied on except by those that just want a warm fuzzy feeling. For example, a hole that has a position FCF of Ø0.5|A|B|C
results:
0, .1 = position of .2
0, -.1 = position .2
.1, 0 = position .2
-.1, 0 = position .2
Capability would look pretty good on that eh? All the same results.

Compare that to parts measuring:
0, .1 = position .2
0, .15 = position .3
0, .12 = position .24
0, .09 = position .18
Capability would report as worse, even though the actual pattern is much, much tighter than the first example.

Paul F. Jackson

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sinned,

Try using one of these spreadsheets to figure your Variable Tolerance Capability. You should check the size and coordinate distribution data to see if it is within control limits otherwise the capability predictions may be erroneous.

One spreadsheet has size and computed position as input data.

The other has size and coordinates as input data.

Paul F. Jackson

Attachments

• PpkMMC.xls
    98 KB · Views: 846
  • PpkMMCXY.xls
    140.5 KB · Views: 676

Paul F. Jackson

Performing a statistical study on a geometrically toleranced feature with a "bonus tolerance" callout is a complete waste of time and energy.
If the probability of a defect is very remote I would agree. If one does not know the probability of a defect I would disagree.

In my mind, it makes more sense to "study" the Basic dimensions as they relate to the feature location RFS.
I agree!

I agree wholeheartedly, and think it's particularly ridiculous for cast and stamped holes that ain't never going to move.
If the location of a punch or core pin cannot be improved by an offsetting the locator segment of the insert I'd agree. In that case it would be better to solve for the optimum punch or core pin size that minimizes the defects of the size and variable position simultaneously.

There might be some application in formed or machined parts, but it almost always makes better sense to analyze where the features are wrt a nominal dimension.
I can't disagree with that.

Since the number reported for position is not indicative of whether the position is erring in X or Y, or positive/negative in those directions, results can't be relied on except by those that just want a warm fuzzy feeling.
It is the buyer or the customer that wants the warm fuzzy feeling. They generally require that the probability of a defect is below some remote level. You are right about the capability not being indicative of whether the position is erring in X or Y although that is not its job. Before variation causes the probability of a defect to rise above that remote level it is important to identify the root causes of the variation and attempt to correct them. I recommend as you do to monitor and control the coordinates of a position rather than the resultant deviation diameter.

Let me say that checking variable tolerances with attribute gages is a proper but highly inefficient way to get that warm fuzzy feeling. In order to feel the warmth that most buyers or customers demand these days somewhere between 1.33 and 1.67 Ppk your attribute sample size has to be very very large. At 1.33 there cannot be more than 1 defect in 31,250 parts and to get any measure of confidence in the prediction there must be some repetition of defects in sample relative to the sample size. So if your capability threshold was 1.33 and your sample size was 250,000 you would expect no more than 8 defects. At 1.67 cannot be more than 40 defects in a billion parts. Consider these sample sizes!!

Since Sinned posted the same Variable tolerance question on another forum I'll paste my response to that here.

Geometric tolerances i.e. Ø9.4-8.9 |⊕|Ø0.36(M)|A|B|C| have a variable upper specification limit. That limit can be visualized by making a histogram with both distributions on the same graph, the one for the geometric tolerance and the one for feature size. The scale of the graph begins at 0 and at the geometric tolerance's specified USL the size limit tolerance corresponding to the MMC condition would begin. When the two distributions are plotted on this graph the histogram reveals the extent to which the distributions intersect.

The geometric tolerance distribution will often appear skewed toward the zero boundary (this happens because the computed deviation is always a positive number that reflects the size of the diameter zone needed to contain the deviation). If a scatter diagram shows that the means of the X,Y position deviation coordinates are roughly centered on target the histogram will appear more skewed conversely the more they are off target the histogram will appear more normal.

To figure the Ppk of a variable geometric tolerance you have to estimate the intersecting area of the two distributions in contrast to the area between their means. When one is non-normal this is a difficult problem but not impossible, however you can estimate that area differential somewhat less accurately with the classic equation for stress vs. strength if you treat both distributions "as normal." If we assign letters to the mean and standard deviation values for size (Ms=mean size, Ss=stdev size) and position (Mp=mean position, Sp=stdev position) the equation for Ppk would look like this:

One more thing, the MEAN value for size Ms has be converted to its corresponding value for variable position tolerance Mt. Subtract the mean size value from its MMC limit and add that to the lower constant value for the geometric tolerance and you will find the mean variable tolerance from the mean size.

Variable Tolerance Ppk = (Mt-Mp)/(3*sqrt(Ss^2+Sp^2))

To figure the Pp process potential of a geometric tolerance you must examine the scatter plots of the measured coordinates and determine whether the coordinates can be adjusted to target or not. If they can be improved refigure the geometric tolerance deviations as if they had been adjusted (understanding that the distribution shape will change). Pp = Ppu (coordinate means adjusted to target)

To figure the Pp process potential of a VARIABLE geometric tolerance you must first adjust the means to target (if possible) and refigure the geometric tolerance distribution as described above and then you must find the optimum mean value for size that will make the Ppu for the variable geometric tolerance and the Ppu for size equivalent. This minimizes PPM defective for both size and variable position simultaneously. By setting the equation above equal to the equation for Ppu Size and solving for the optimum target size we have:

One more thing, the USL value for size has to be converted to its equivalent maximum variable value for position USLpmax. Add the difference between USL and LSL size to the specified minimum USL value of position.

Optimum variable tolerance Mt[optimum] = (Ss*Mp + sqrt(Ss^2+Sp^2)*USLpmax)/(Ss+ sqrt(Ss^2+Sp^2))

Convert Mt(optimum) back to Ms[optimum] and we have:

(USLs-Ms[optimum])/(3*Ss)=Ppu[size]=Pp[variable tolerance]=Ppu[variable pos]=(Mt-Mp)/(3*sqrt(Ss^2+Sp^2)).

This method slightly underestimates the capability and potential capability of a variable tolerance because the predictions are made by assuming both distributions for size and position are normal. If capability analysis software was written to figure the intersecting area of dissimilar distributions then the estimation would improve somewhat.

Other methods have been touted as a solution to this variable tolerance capability analysis problem but I have found them to be lacking. Most methods combine the individual variable bonus tolerance with the individual position deviation and then compare the resulting surrogate variable to a constant limit. These methods Adjusted TP, Residual Tolerance, Percent-of-Tolerance, and (effective size compared to virtual condition) can mask or amplify the variation in the surrogate relative to the variation inherent in the contributing sources therefore their predictions I have found to be untrustworthy.

Some will say that the capability should be determined on the coordinates separately. I disagree! The specifications are often given as cylindrical zones where the maximum coordinate displacements are a function of one another. To limit that variation to something other than the design tolerance is to give a false capability. The variation is always different in each coordinate distribution.

There are also methods to compare the elliptical boundary of the scatter plot to the circular boundary of position tolerance but the circular boundary is regarded as a constant value in those analysis methods so even those methods fall short of variable tolerance capability analysis.

I hope this explanation helps,

Paul F. Jackson

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FlyerUK

Paul,

Thanks for your quick response.
I have now used your spreadsheets to calculate Ppk using my own data. The results were almost identical to my spreadsheet, which calculated the Ppk value from ‘adjusted positional’ values. I’ve attached my spreadsheet for your inspection. (not as well laid-out as yours).
My problem is, when I ask my supplier for PPAP positional capability information he will have difficulty in understanding the format of the data.
I feel the complicated way the data has to be presented is beyond the understanding of many of our suppliers and could prove costly in achieving.
I’ve also attached a power-point document explaining the dimension strategy that might be used when presenting to our suppliers.
As my spreadsheet gives the similar results, could this not be forwarded as an alternative simpler method of explaining how the data needs to be manipulated and presented? Or is it too simplistic and a complete load of rubbish?

Attachments

• Example_of_Adjusted_Positions.xls
    717.5 KB · Views: 440
  • Pin_Positions_example.pps
    1.6 MB · Views: 436

Paul F. Jackson

Phil,

I studied your spreadsheet and I have to tell you that your method of including variable bonus tolerance is difficult for me to comprehend. I may be wrong but it appears that you are using a variation of a method that ultimately compares to the %-Of-Tolerance method. This method compares the amount of tolerance consumed 2*(X^2+Y^2) to the variable amount allowed (TOL@MMC + ABS(MMCsize-ACTUALsize). That ratio is then compared to 1. It was originally proposed at GM’s Fuel Handling Division and widely distributed in a paper that Marty Ambrose wrote.

There are a number of other methods devised that are all designed to compare a single distribution consisting of both variable feature size and variable position deviation to a constant limit. In the %-Of-Tolerance method by Marty Ambrose that limit is 1. In the “Adjusted TP” by Glen Gruner that limit is the specified value @ MMC. In my earlier method “Residual Tolerance” that limit is 0. In the method offered at tec-ease.com that limit is the feature’s “virtual condition.” All of these methods however require that each instance of size and position produces a surrogate statistic that is compared to the constant limit.

If size and position are truly independent variables then the prediction shouldn’t change when the samples of size and position from the same population are used to predict the variable position conformance. What I found when studying this problem is that when I mixed up the pairing of sizes and positions I got significant differences in the predictions of process capability conformance. Sometimes a large TP deviation would be paired with a large bonus tolerance or a small TP deviation would be paired with a small bonus and both would produce an identical moderate statistic in the surrogate. If the pairings were switched they would produce an amplified statistic in the surrogate.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t suggest that in each instance conformance is not dependent upon each feature’s actual size and position deviation. I am just saying that to predict conformance of the population’s variable tolerance from a sample the size and position should both have their variation represented independently in the equation if they are truly independent variables.

I got to hand it to you though Phil your method is the most complicated method that I have ever seen. From your sketch it looks like the position applies to some kind of a guide or alignment device. You also included the words “Press fit” and I just wanted to comment that I often see MMC applied to features that it should not be. If function worsens as the feature is permitted to deviate from its ideal position then permitting it even more deviation due to feature size may be inappropriate. Often the modifier is specified to support attribute gauging more than function. If the feature’s position specification only insures clearance and does not affect alignment, balance, appearance, sealing area, etc. then MMC may be appropriately applied.

Attached is a presentation that I gave at the Manufacturing and Measurement Conference and Workshop put on by Quality Magazine in April, 2006. It may help explain the method that I believe works best (short of software that analyzes the intersecting area of dissimilar distributions).

Happy Analyzing!
Paul F. Jackson
View attachment PpkMMC.pdf

Paul F. Jackson

Phil,

I would like to understand your method of applying the variable "bonus" tolerance better. I don't fully comprehend the method.

I ran your data on my spreadsheet and it appears that there are two of thirty true position deviations that may be outliers. They penalize the potential capability of the process. If you study the outcomes of the potential capabilities you will see that the suggested optimization parameters disregard the ppu for size but rather equalize the ppl for size with the ppu for position. This is consistent with picking an optimum size for a shaft that has a minimum tolerance @ MMC. The faulty minimization of defects for pin size happens because there is a smaller allocation of the variable tolerance for size and the distribution for size encroaches on its upper size limit before encountering interference with the position distribution.

Perhaps I should limit the suggestion for feature size to the optimum size between the median size and the opposite variable position limit corresponding to the material condition specified. Na! That would stifle the optimization! Either the feature size is critical for functional purposes and this is a mis-application of a variable position tolerance or more of the variable position needs to be allocated for size. Let's seewhat happens when we remove the outliers (data rows 1 & 2) and change size to go all the way to diameter 2.17 to 1.63 |TP|dia 0 (M)|A|B|.

Attached are both scenerios optimized "as is" and "0@(M)"

Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

AndrewWROB

Registered
Hi Paul,
Impressive to read all inputs. Currently I have similar problem with understanding how to calculate Pp/Ppk of geometrical true position on LEDs (from the middle of focal point).
I wonder if I could present data I have (how we do it today) and if you can support me to go through your spreadsheets?
I can say at the beginning, our customer requests true position on LED position (center of focal point) at 0.2 level (SMT process, assembly and reflow) and as Pp/Ppk is quite low, we pushed him to calculate for X and Y in Cartesian. However I would find the proper way to get this job properly done.
Appreciate your reply.
Regards
Andrew

Paul F. Jackson

Andrew,
I doubt that the spreadsheet can assist you with your LED focal point coordinate position conformance predictions because the tolerance is likely a static limit not a variable limit as with material condition modifiers. You can although examine the examine the coordinate distributions separately instead of position, especially if those coordinate measurements are aligned with adjustable attributes of the process.
Look at scatter plots or histograms of the individual coordinates and, if they are adjustable you can move their means on target, recompute, and see the potential outcome. Then go and try the adjustment and see if it bears fruit.
Paul

Top Bottom