Process Mapping - Process Flow and Interactions of Processes - ISO 9001

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
love02eat,

Your auditor is not meant to advise you on your management system in order to retain his or her objectivity and impartiality.

Please post a PDF version so we can open your document.

Many thanks,

John

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks here is the file in PDF.

love02eat,

Thanks, I've printed it for review tomorrow.

I can however see that some of your claimed processes are not processes.

For example, Human Resources.

This suggests you have not determined the processes that are essential to the success of your quality management system per clause 4.1.

I'm also looking for any mention of monitoring and measurement of processes.

And preventive action always comes before corrective action (except in the standard!).

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

John

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I am new to the company and there is always room for change. Our CB
auditor suggested changing the quality system process map.. Not really sure in which direction he meant. I have emailed him but he's always traveling and it wasn't a finding but he strongly suggested. He is also a repeat surveillance auditor for the company. So with that I would greatly
appreciate any feed back on our mapping.

Here's a thought...drop out the circle from the standard, divide the process names into two groups - the core processes involved in moving the product forward to the customer, and list the other ones as support processes. Show the core processes in the correct sequence, from Sales - Engineering - Purchasing - Manufacturing - Shipping, along with the supporting processes. Figure out how to show the inputs and outputs, though that can be on a separate document.

Patricia Ravanello

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Love02eat,
Here's another approach (see attachment) to mapping out your key processes. It shows both the sequence and the interaction of processes, and highlights how every key process must be monitored and measured, and subsequently be subjected to corrective, preventive action, and/or continual improvement as required (not just for one process, but for ALL key processes).

Personally, I don't think it matters, simply because, most auditors don't have any idea how to satisfy the requirement, and most will accept anything, no matter how simplistic, irrational or defective. You won't lose your certification over it. The misleading model in the standard is the genesis of this widespread problem. It's confusing, deficient and uses terminology which doesn't describe processes (like "Management Responsibility").

Don't waste your energy or your company's resources if you don't have to.

Patricia

Attachments

• Universal MOS System Model - Automotive - Rev 7 - Aug 16 2008.pdf
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
love02eat,

Helmut beat me to it.

The circle depicting the cycle of continual improvement can be confusing when showing the sequence and interaction of the processes that your organization determined as essential to fulfill your organization's purpose or mission.

Your system comprises key processes of two types: core and support.

The core process runs from customer needs to cash in the bank (or in your case from quote to shipping) and the support processes direct, sustain and improve the core process.

Examples of key processes in the core process:

Marketing - including keeping the website up to date​
Selling - making promises the organization can keep and monitoring customer satisfaction​
Purchasing - from suppliers able to meet your requirements​
Producing - adding value to inputs to fulfill specifications​
Packaging - labeling and protecting the product​
Shipping - delivering the product on-time​
Invoicing - obtaining prompt payment​
You could show the core process as an block arrow starting and ending with the customer. Under this you could show your support processes.

Examples of key processes that support the core process:

Assessing risks and planning - strategically and for each order​
Recruiting - attracting people with the required innate abilities​
Training - for awareness and competence​
Maintaining facilities and equipment - including measuring equipment​
Providing reliable information - aka control of information​
Preventing nonconformity - aka preventive action​
Stopping recurrence of nonconformity - aka corrective action​
Investing in improvement - includes setting objectives and management review​
Auditing - reporting on how well the management system helps employees to meet requirements​
Note that inspecting and testing products is part of the production process and purchasing process as is controlling nonconforming products. Monitoring processes would also be an integral part of every process unless it needs to be broken out as a separate process for effective planning, operation and control.

Note how auditing includes auditing of the continual improvement processes including the process monitoring by auditees. Too often we see all corrective action coming from audit instead of from monitoring.

BTW - who designs your packaging?

John

love02eat

Involved In Discussions
Thanks everyone for your suggestions :bigwave: I will work on this. John I don't know who designs packaging. I know we pack our product to meet customer requirements as for shipping area they go in long tubes or regular packaging boxes. Why? Also if by chance does anyone have example of how to diagram out my new quality system process map in WORD or EXCEL thanks so much?

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We actually use our E2 routing/traveling software. I took a screenshot of its home screen which looks like a flow chart. That includes everything from planning and production to quality and shipping. The software has all kinds of reports available too. An employee or auditor can follow everything that happens from it.

Q

qualityfox

Here is what my company uses to show high level process interactions in our quality manual. I found something similar to this on the web and tweaked it in PowerPoint.
It made it past Stage 1 certification audit, but as mentioned earlier, I think a lot of auditors accept whatever you give them. :2cents:

Attachments

• Process Interactions.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,235
Top Bottom