QMS (Quality Management System) Manual - The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to Do?

How many pages is your QMS Manual?

• 1 to 5 Pages

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • 6 to 10 Pages

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • 11 to 15 Pages

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • 16 to 20 Pages

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • 21 to 25 Pages

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • 25 to 30 Pages

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • 31 to 35 Pages

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • 36 to 40 Pages

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • 41 to 45 Pages

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • 46 to 50 Pages

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • 51 to 60 Pages

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • Resembles Juran's Handbook

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • We have no manual per se

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
D

dianel

Re: QMS (Quality Management System) Manual - The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to

I just mean they are not in a book. They are in front of me.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: QMS (Quality Management System) Manual - The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to

This particular manual is the first for a 50-some year old privately-owned company. My task was not to conform to ISO, but to attempt to begin getting this organization into the modern era of documentation. It covers everything from soup to nuts; various chapters can be pulled out to stand on their own
I am not trained in the QA discipline, but have learned it all the hard way, by living it. That is why I study this forum, to learn how things should be done in QA documentation and implementation. Re-inventing my career with this organization, for the third time, so I can stay employed in a field I enjoy, working with people I enjoy, and hopefully retiring with something other than Social in-Security.

Good post and explanation and I understand.

Question....How honestly useful is your manual in its present format? Again..."How useful is it?"

E

EWHome1

For our company it is very useful, especially as this is the first time anyone has tried to document what is done, and how it is done. After reading these discussions, I am considering breaking some of the chapters out now, in order to make it shorter. Perhaps not everything needs to be included in one book, but it was a start.
I have downloaded a posting pdf form another individual on this forum which is giving me great guidance on how a more experienced person has dealt with this subject.
I continue to be very appreciative of the individuals who have developed and guided the quality knowledge available. Before my current duties, I was involved in purchasing, safety development, emergency management, and storm water run-off programs. None of this was documented at the time of my employment many years ago, and as we were growing fast, it has been a race to keep up. Been interesting, especially as my education and background has not been in the "quality assurance" realm.
Cheers.

Q

qaforumcontibutor

At an ISO training session, the instructor gave an example of a quality manual that was essentially one big flow chart. This is what the manager wanted. flow charts qualify as procedures. With the exception of specific elements required by the standard, the level of detail just has to be appropriate for the users.

qfc

A

adickerson

The Quality Manual for my organization is 3 pages long however the entire QMS system is more like a 3 ring binder of material. Our Quality Manual is really more of an index to lots of other procedures, flow charts, and work instructions. This works for us.

The 3 pages put how we operate into the context of the ISO "Shall" statements. The 3 ring binder is how we run our business.

I think that just reflects how we started our QMS program. We started on the shop floor and took a look at what was actually going on and build the system up from there.

E

egarry

The biggest test still remains. Is the system effective and promotes continuous improvement of the business. I have seen 1 page manuals that were effectively implemented and I have seen 75 page manuals that were totally ineffective. It all begins with Culture and not the document length.

Top Bottom