Question about granite surface plates out of spec

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
Last week we were audited and i did not like that the auditor said that we must do non-conformances for granite plates been out of spec by .00013 what he saw was our granite plate certs and they were out of spec by .00013 and when was resurfaced to be to spec, of course we dont get a number when they are to spec in our certs (I bet they are still out). I told him that's ridiculous I'll be doing non-conformances for everything being calibrated because all tools are out of spec at least .00001. I told him we make parts at +-.005 those .00013 measurements cannot be measured in our shop we don't have that kind of measuring equipment. What should i do..... should i do a procedure stating tools that are out of spec by +- .005 requires non-conformances.

Funboi

On Holiday
All good control systems for calibration issues such as this include a “Significance of Out of Calibration” worksheet (or whatever you wish to call it). You can use it to record the deviation and your estimate of the impact on what’s been measured - allow yourself 10:1 or even 4:1 and you can justify why being a gnat’s eyebrow out don’t matter. Tell your CB that you want another auditor who is competent in calibration, next time.

Randy

Super Moderator

.00013? He's smoking something that hasn't be classified yet. He's talking 0.13 microns, that's ridiculous to the extreme.

Did he give you a reference or anything else? If not, you need to protest/appeal the NC right now. The vast majority of what I see and have seen since Regan was president is +/- 0.0005. Anything lower is dealing with some really high science and higher tech than probably anyone here most likely deals with.

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
He did not give me an NCR he just told me that i should do something about it. But i don't want to i think is unnecessary.

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
*The uncertainty in calibration certificate could be noticed ; it's part of error /budget-- but this process is part of testing /measuring competence requirements / accreditation of Lab. according to ISO IEC 17025 requirements ;
*you can refer to your own process of measuring ;the IMTE calibration of your tools /devices ; the customer/client requirements also & relavant approved drawings , they are enough references to be followed as criteria of acceptance

Randy

Super Moderator
He did not give me an NCR he just told me that i should do something about it. But i don't want to i think is unnecessary.
OK I misunderstood. Anyway as I said he's way out in space with no O2. He thinks you should and you'd be fine thinking you shouldn't and still asking for another person.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
he saw was our granite plate certs and they were out of spec by .00013 and when was resurfaced to be to spec, of course we dont get a number when they are to spec in our certs (I bet they are still out)

Let's review what information we have:
[You were told Granite Plate certs are out of spec by .00013.] What spec? Was the spec on the cert? Where did the spec come from?
[When resurfaced to be to spec.] Did you pay someone to resurface the plates? What criteria was used to decide when the work was done?
[Of course we don't get a number when they are to spec in our certs.] If you want uncertainty "data" from a calibration service, you pay for it.
[I bet they are still out.] Why would you think they are still out?

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
When you say it is 'out of spec' by 0.00013 (inches I presume) what 'spec' are you refering to? YOU define the tolerances that your equipment is calibrated to (or in some cases your customer does) , nobody else. If .00013 is sufficiently 'flat' for your purposes (depends what you are using it for), then write it that way in your calibration procedure.

Sam.F

Involved In Discussions
Thank you very much for your help guys. :) i will writte something because .00013 is flat enough for the work we do.

Top Bottom