Question on finding • Failure to follow Work Instructions

qcman

Registered Visitor
During our ISO 9001 internal audit it was found that a work instruction called out associate to gage check part every 1/4 hour. Associate knew this yet was only checking and documenting it once per hour. When asked why she indicated someone told her to only check it once per hour but she could not remember who told her this. In a case of not following work instructions what would you write this finding under?

qcman

Registered Visitor
Work instruction requirements are simply follow the instructions. Jim, not sure I follow not keying internal findings to the standard. Would you mind elaborating?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Work instruction requirements are simply follow the instructions. Jim, not sure I follow not keying internal findings to the standard. Would you mind elaborating?
Basing everything on the standard inevitably leads to an "ISO says so..." kind of mindset. Your internal requirements should be designed such that the requirements of the standard are satisfied if the requirements are met. Your confusion here is also a good reason. If the requirement is rigid (measure every 15 minutes) and for some reason the requirement can't be met, you've painted yourself into a corner.

I think Cari has provided the best solution. Cite your own requirement. If there is corrective action to be done as a result of the finding, part of it should be determining how and if the requirement may be superseded if need be.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
If you want to connect to the standard, cite against 7.5.1 (doc info) or better yet, 8.1 (control planning), which is a little more detailed. Either way, it's failure to follow the work instruction. Now make sure they review the WI to determine if 1 per hour is good -- don't do unnecessary work. Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yeah, instruction not effectively implemented. Unless it's an absolute, change the wording it's probably overkill.

Top Bottom