Rubber compression moulding - nomenclature of defects

SimonLancashire

Registered
We're part of a very large diversified industrial conglomerate; our business unit moulds a range of natural and synthetic rubbers in a wide variety of sizes for applications of all types.

Internally, we have a series of mould defects that allow us to categorise and treat manufacturing problems 'on the fly'.

Some of these defects would be familiar to most rubber moulding companies (such as 'short moulding', 'air-traps', 'blooming') but others seem to be legacy terms that have arisen over many years and don't have analogues in the literature. Thus when I go to the internet or to suppliers for advice I get nowhere and right quick...

Is there any 'gold standard' of compression moulding defects that anyone can recommend?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I have 15 years of experience in rubber molding, and I have never seen a gold standard of terms. For example, "short molding" is not even a standard term. While I recognize it, I have also heard several other terms (e.g., short shots, non-fills, etc.) used to describe the same defect. At my former employer, I created a glossary of molding/extrusion defect terms with clear definitions for our company. You may need to do something similar.

Top Bottom