Small Sample - Lower Limit Probability

kiworking

Registered
I'm struggling with figuring out how to analyze some data. I'll do my best to describe the problem, but my understanding of statistical analysis is pretty stale. Please let me know if this does not make sense.

The premise: I have a handfull of devices (n=8) that have a starting signal strength for a detector. When it takes measurements, the signal strength drops to a 'reading' value. This 'reading' value is what I'm interested in. It cannot be less than 10. I do not know the population mean or SD.

I want to know at a given starting signal strength, what the probability the 'reading' value will be greater than 10 (preferably with some margin of error, like larger than 20), to ensure that they devices will not run into problems. What is the best way to go about determining this?

I have data collected for a variety of starting signal strength values. I assumed a t-test was the right approach, but I'm not exactly comparing means, since that would assume some proportion of the sample falls below the lower limit of 10. Perhaps I'm going about this wrong?

Top Bottom