Suggestions for thread rings and plugs - Old and not used for years

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Uncalibrated gages might be useful for a hobby machinist, repair shop, and straight-up hacks who do business in the trade but don't calibrate their gages.

The eBay market is also saturated with one-step-from-junk gages.

The point is that the calibration of the thread gage is what makes it valuable.

If I were in your position, I'd probably sell them (properly disclaimed) as-is on eBay too.

BTW, good idea about listing the pitch diameters, Wayne.

L

Laura M

Well, they are not mine to sell, I was just coming up with options for a client. The first question is how to handle them if they are onsight during the audit. The plan is to inventory, determine duplicates, keep the 'best one' and unload the rest. Depending on how many 'the rest' is will help determine what to do. I was just commenting that the consignment shop doesn't appear to be 'the best $ choice' when there is alot of upfront costs. I'm sure they would prefer a way to get some $ out of them, without alot of investment.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Laura M said:
Well, they are not mine to sell, I was just coming up with options for a client. The first question is how to handle them if they are onsight during the audit. The plan is to inventory, determine duplicates, keep the 'best one' and unload the rest. Depending on how many 'the rest' is will help determine what to do. I was just commenting that the consignment shop doesn't appear to be 'the best $ choice' when there is alot of upfront costs. I'm sure they would prefer a way to get some $ out of them, without alot of investment.

If I were you, I would talk to Wayne, and see what he proposes. Get numbers ($) and then you can better weigh your options.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Laura M said:
So if I read the 'consignment store' information correctly,...
The consignment is only one option available. It does have the highest return, approx 1/3 of new cost to the owner of the gage, but there are other options. All the options have positives and negatives. Way too many variables do try to discuss in type. Call me for through discussion if you like.

J

jrubio

I have seen an adaptable plug-gauge for Diameter, with a cone in the middle and a wheel to adjust the diameter needed and them a comparator between two points,
I think ideas like this contribute to reduce the enormous waist of money buying plug-gages for every Diameter.

There are many devices out-there may be it is time to select the best gage with production criterias.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
jrubio said:
I have seen an adaptable plug-gauge for Diameter, with a cone in the middle and a wheel to adjust the diameter needed and them a comparator between two points,
I think ideas like this contribute to reduce the enormous waist of money buying plug-gages for every Diameter.

There are many devices out-there may be it is time to select the best gage with production criterias.
Have you read this thread? Read the first post.

J

jrubio

Al Rosen said:
Have you read this thread? Read the first post.

------------ Initial post---------

So there is probably $1000's of dollars, but many have not been used in the years since they've acquired the business. But to tell them to get rid of them seems like throwing away money.

-------------------------

I think my comments are in conection with the initial post.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I thought that the op already has more gages than needed and would like to economically dispose of them not aquire additional ones. My misunderstanding.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Laura M said:
A client purchased a screw machine business and along with it came a cabinet FULL of gages. Most have no calibration sticker. There is literally every size, of thread ring and thread plug gage, in additional to some pin gages.

So there is probably $1000's of dollars, but many have not been used in the years since they've acquired the business. But to tell them to get rid of them seems like throwing away money.

The obvious solution is 'calibrate before use' but that of course requires sending them out, so if it's needed urgently that won't work.

In the event I can convince them to unload them, does anyone know a company that buys/sells used gages?

Any suggestions?
I've only been following this thread with half an eye, but it occurs to me to add this comment.

The very fact these gages were in a cabinet WITHOUT calibration tags or labels says to me they were probably "production gages" rather than first article or final inspection gages. (Even poorly run shops normally had two sets of gages and they kept the master gages as a half-a$$ed calibration tool for the production gages - I've even heard the phrase "close enough for government work" when evaluating such shops as potential suppliers.) You don't give much identifiable information for folks really familiar with thread gages to do more than make wild speculation about whether they have more value as scrap iron than as usable tools. I'm curious - did each ring size have a matching plug to use for day to day checking to see whether it was still in calibration?

Are they mostly straight or tapered threads? Makes a big difference in initial price and resale value.

Were they all from the same manufacturer? (Once I found a gage manufacturer I could work with, he got ALL my business and a lot of referral work from my suppliers and customers as well.) If so, why not drop a dime and ask if the supplier was doing a lot of calibration and certifying as well? If yes, he might be a logical guy to approach for a suggestion on where to sell/donate the gages.

Inherit any former employees with the business? What can they tell you about the gages? Maybe all the certs are stuck in another drawer, matched to serial numbers on each piece. Lots of small job shops didn't bother with individual tags on serial numbered pieces - they just recalibrated each time an new order came in for such a thread. The fact the gages were all in a cabinet rather than scattered throughout the shop would support that theory. Did the shop have a separate metrology area (a lab?) or was this cabinet just part of the tool cage for the general shop?

Bottom line: I can't imagine a reputable shop buying non-adjustable ring gages off ebay, There are just too many things that could make them worth less that the shipping cost. The amount of time spent speculating about these would be better spent just running the female gages against male masters to determine if they are in calibration or have other problems (rust, galls, missing wax over the calibration screw, etc.) and reserving the ones that pass initial muster to have individually calibrated and certified if and when an order EVER comes along for the thread size. Scrap the remainder rather than offload junk on a naive buyer in ebay (Worse - the buyer may be a shoddy operator who will underbid you for a job!)

Top Bottom