Superseded military specifications (MIL specs)

• Thread starter christopoher doherty
  • Start date

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Superseded military (MIL) specs

btw - I moved this thread to the correct board.

christopoher - if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you may find links to similar threads.

Good Luck!

C

christopoher doherty

So to clearify, a canceled spec is still valid if thats what the customer wants?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Yes, whatever the customer wants. But get it in writing! :yes:
In times of trouble, people tend to suffer from amnesia...;)

Stijloor.
If there's a drawing that calls out a superseded (or canceled) standard, and a purchase order from the customer that identifies the revision of their drawing to use, you already have it in writing. That's not to say that you shouldn't confirm, but the confirmation doesn't necessarily have to be in writing.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

If there's a drawing that calls out a superseded (or canceled) standard, and a purchase order from the customer that identifies the revision of their drawing to use, you already have it in writing. That's not to say that you shouldn't confirm, but the confirmation doesn't necessarily have to be in writing.

I agree, but from personal experience, better safe than sorry. ;)

Stijloor.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

Its interesting how many of my customers take the easy way out by noting on their Purchase Orders that I need to certify to the latest revision without actually stating the revision to be worked to.
And yet, when I am audited, I must show that I am keeping up with the latest and greatest, and flowing down the requirement to my sub-tiers. Thaey say that I cannot ask for the latest revision to be worked to, but must call out the revision on my PO.
It's a case of do what I say, not what I do.
I do keep a list of the specifications that I work with a do a monthly check to ensure that I am current. I also interface with my processors when I release a PO to them to let me know if there have been updates and/or revisions.
J Allen

A

alspread

Does the customer print and/or P.O. specify which revision to use?
If yes, then you must comply. I'm not exactly sure how, particularly if you are purchasing the process from another source or purchasing the materials from another source.

If no, then use the new spec. The old spec has been superseded; therefore it is no longer valid for new processing after the superseded date. It has been replaced by some other procedure from that date on.

If the change affects cost or delivery, then you need to quote the affect to the customer.

Good luck

S

sarah0305

I had the same problem with some OEM manuals.
They are from the 70's or 80's and are the latest revision and the MFG wont update them since the fleet is shrinking.
Is there a way to keep complient with the cross reference or documentation from the product( in this case grease) that the old MIL spec is now this new spec?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I dealt with this situation during Contract Review with my own company simply by calling a customer's attention to the fact there was a more recent revision (or that the Military Spec system had been abandoned and turned over to commercial Standards.) With that, we WROTE
"We no longer have a copy of the obsolete specification. If, for some reason,you want us to build to that specification, could you please forward a copy of it so we may comply?"

Sometimes we were aware of differences in revision levels or that the commercial Standard was identical to the military version. In those cases, we pointed out the difference and asked IN WRITING for the customer's requirement.

The delays arose when the purchasing functionary was incapable of reading or interpreting specifications and was incapable of framing the question accurately to his engineering department. Some customers were so bureaucratically snarled, it took weeks of negotiation before we could get direct contact with an engineer (I guess those companies are afraid a suppler will suborn an engineer?), who usually said, "Oh spit! How did that get by us? Yeah, sure. We'll update the drawing and forward it to you. No problem."

My advice:
Remove fear! Do not be afraid to raise the question if it comes to your attention. There are valid reasons customers want the original specification adhered to. It pays to know what they are. If they do want the most recent one, you look like a hero for bringing it to their attention!

S

silentrunning

I thought this issue was dead and gone years ago, but it has popped up again for us. We have gotten several older prints dating all the way back to World War II from a customer. The specs are long since obsolete and our authorized platers won't certify to them. (I don't think they even have a copy of most of them). The customer needs the parts supplied "to the print". I'm sure this is going to be fun. :confused:

Top Bottom