Supplier Conflict Minerals Disclosure Information and Reporting Law

I agree, its putting all African nations at risk by undermining one of the primary sources of income, especially for regular people who just want a job. On the flip side, it seems to have created alot of new legal jobs over here....:)

P

PaulJSmith

We just got our first request this week, from a defense contractor. They made it pretty clear that their future business with us hinges on our returning their template fully completed. They were gracious enough to give us two months to collect the info.

I spoke with our owner about this over a year ago, and he pretty much blew it off as a waste of time until someone asked for it. Well, here we go.

"So we are "increasing" hardship of ordinary people in DRC."
... and surrounding countries.
Another great piece of legislation from our friends in DC.</sarcasm font>

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Start on it right away and do not be surprised that many will have no idea. Many think that well we do not have much metal but it goes beyond as paints, electronics, fabric,LCD, plastics. etc may contain 3TG. Not an easy task. Put it on purchasing and have them stay on all the suppliers.

Yup, welding rods, stainless, all kinds of strange places this turns up. Like Paul, our leadership blew it off as not relevant, but it is a standard contract item on things coming in now, and the days where "unknown" qualified are pretty much over.
On Linked In , the "Conflict Minerals Consortium" has been a pretty good resource for me.

P

PaulJSmith

Our purchasing agent is on it. He started sending out the requests this morning, and has already received a few replies. We are an electronics manufacturer, so it's going to be a huge report for us. Fortunately, we buy most of our smaller components through a handful of distributors ... who we are hopeful has already done much of that research with their suppliers.

I don't spend much time at all on LinkedIn, but I guess it's certainly worth browsing. Thanks for the tip, hhf.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Bort and Carbonando., the major industrial diamond are mined from central Africa (Congo)
largely. These are used in the Abrasive industries in large volumes. Is the abrasive industry worldwide treating this as a conflict mineral.
Are these disclosure information and reporting law being pushed on these industries as well... ? Or just the 3TG being targeted ?

In spite of all we have heard about 'blood diamonds' , these are not in the legislation, however they did reserve the right to add items to the list, so that can be expected in the future. Our welding rod supplier has been good enough to publish their info on line, so that helps somewhat with the product ID. Stainless Steels are a bit of a toss up, but in most cases we can get a material cert, but that may not itemize trace elements. Tin is present in just about everything as well, so we have yet to fully ID that product line.

P

Pelaminoskep

It seems Europe is going to go even further:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/...k-for-mandatory-certification-of-EU-importers

Not only will the scope NOT be limited to just the DRC region, there will also be specific rules for companies with an importer role and smelters will be forced to be audited for their upstream supply chain efforts.
Moreover, it seems that European manufacturers will need to conduct their due diligence, whether they are on the stock exchange or not.

Just my interpretation though. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Top Bottom