The logic around Takt Time

M

Meteor

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the logic around takt time please help.

As an eg. A bakery works with 1 operator baking 7 different cakes (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7) throught the year working 8hrs/day (minus breaks) & available for 22 working days/month . On an average the baker bakes 15
No of operators - 1
No of shifts/day - 1
No of wd/month - 22
No of working hrs/day - 8
Average no of C1/week - 70 with a cycle time of 15 mins
Average no of C2/week - 10 with a cycle time of 20 mins
Average no of C3/week - 6 with a cycle time of 20 mins
Average no of C4/week - 5 with a cycle time of 20 mins
Average no of C5/week - 3 with a cycle time of 25 mins
Average no of C6/week - 4 with a cycle time of 20 mins
Average no of C7/week - 2 with a cycle time of 30 mins

Not all 7 cakes are baked on all 5 days of the week....it varies.

What will be the takt time in this case??

Thanks,
Auro

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Curtis317

Takt time is the time it takes to do a job with all the nonessential operations taken out. How you have described the time break down above really has nothing to do with Takt time. You need to look at each process C1-C7 individually and break down each operation of the process to see what is essential and what is not essential.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
(broken link removed)is based on available time divided by customer demand.

P

PaulJSmith

Right. Takt Time is essentially the rate at which you must produce in order to satisfy the customer demand. If the bakery sells 40 of one particular cake per day, then they need to produce them at the rate of one every 12 minutes over an 8 hour shift. You can simplify the thought process by seeing it as the time between completed units (cakes), but it is really more than that. The rate the bakery can or does achieve is not so important as the customer demand aspect, as pointed out by Miner. That rate needs to be adjusted to meet the demand.

T

tongxiaozhi

What if the customer need is not stable? should I calculate it every month? Thanks

S

Surehawk

The theory around takt-time is indeed based on what the customer needs not on what you produce.
Takttime COULD be broken down into mounth, week, day and probebly even smaller units. As long as you have data oyu feal confident with. Takt-time is after all mostly used for planning.
"Today I need to make 45 cakes, so I need to produce one every 6,3 minute (based on 7 hours without break). Well, it is not possible on one baker, I need 4 bakers to do this"

So to sum it, Takt-time is purely for planning, and you use it to calculate how many bakers/operators are needed. (or if you are a single baker, you can use it to see if you can manage at all, or if you need to make more cakes on onday and tuesday to fill your quota on wensday)

If you are going to think lean, the next step is to try to make the demand stable (by trying to make people want more cakes during the periods when they don't want them, and maybe that will satesfy them so they don't want as many during the buissy periods)

C

Curtis317

Takt time is about production. It is about doing only what is necessary to make the parts in the most efficient manner. Elimination of unneeded movements or steps. Ultimately it is about the customer with regard only with regard to increasing production at a possible lower cost.

AndyN

Moved On
Takt time is about production. It is about doing only what is necessary to make the parts in the most efficient manner. Elimination of unneeded movements or steps. Ultimately it is about the customer with regard only with regard to increasing production at a possible lower cost.

Not really! "Takt" is from the German word "Taktzeit" can be described as being like a musical beat or timing. What you are describing is also known as "Lean" or the Toyota Production System - you are describing mainly (muda) waste reduction - of which Takt time is a component.

Top Bottom