When Customers Make Changes to Orders

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
How does a simple "How do I clarify communication without sacrificing speed?" turn into "Find another job?"

...seems odd, like someone thought that "work" stopped being a 4-letter word...

Watchcat

How does a simple "How do I clarify communication without sacrificing speed?" turn into "Find another job?"

Easy. Whenever the OP expands their original simple request to:

The way it works here is that when someone makes a mistake, they do not typically own up to it. Since there is virtually no official quality system in place, it is very hard to resolve issues. The culture has been to hold on to the "old ways" of doing things because "we have been in business for 50 years and we didn't need to do any of the things you are trying to get us to do before" From the leadership all the way to the shop floor, the culture does not support the objective.

"Find another job?"....seems odd, like someone thought that "work" stopped being a 4-letter word...

Not quite sure what that means, but "work" and "job" are far from synonymous, at best loosely correlated, and the correlation is not infrequently a negative one.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Sounds like the need for a champion...not a need to flee...
Anyone who would flee before bashing the wall down is not worth keeping IMO.
Better to be fired for bashing than to flee and admit defeat.

(I've never been fired, though I've been both ostracized and promoted at the same time).

I don't take "jobs"...I work, or I don't. I hate having people around me with "jobs"...do you care, or not. If not, why are you here?

Watchcat

Sounds like the need for a champion...
Whose need? Actions speak louder than words, and in this case management behavior seems to say it doesn't want a champion.

bashing the wall down
I don't think getting hired by someone inherently authorizes you to tear down their walls. If they tell you they want them torn down, you might reasonably think that this is your authorization. But if their behavior clearly says otherwise, you might want to think again.

do you care, or not.
I think the question is probably not do you care, but what do you care about?

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello, @Watchcat @Ninja
I have read both of your comments and I agree with both of you. The reason I think you are both giving very sound opinions on this is because it really does depend on the context.
I stayed with that company for as long as I could WORK. When I realized that no more work could be done due to the culture, I found other work. I'm much happier now and it is because I love doing this work.
The unhappiness I was experiencing there made everyday toxic for me. I feel better now. Not because the work is easy, but because no matter the challenge, the company goals are aligned from top across the organization. I like that

Last edited:
Top Bottom