Who is "responsible" for fixing the "Millennials" in the Workplace?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
When asked, Millennials described what would help them stay:

• Millennials need to find meaning in their work
  • They want to learn and grow
  • They need approachable managers

this is too funny! When I (as a late member of the boomer generation) went to work (at the company that Jennifer refers to) I remember wanting exactly those same 3 things!

I am one of those who vehemently rejected our HR's attempt to better on board the millennials. Not because I thought the things they wanted to do were wrong, but that I didn't think they were unique to millennials ; I thought we all needed them. Of course in my day all of us young whipper snappers wanted cubicles (we had bean bags in our college dorms and knew that bean bags were NOT meant for studying or work :notme:). we couldn't wait to get out of the rows of old gun metal grey desks in a vast open area. Of course now I sit in an area of rows of modern looking desks all lined up in a row in a vast open area...

Over Christmas I saw a posting from someone who was bemoaning the fact that today's generation was lazy, obsessed with music and drugs and had no respect for authority. They then went on to say that in the sixties she and her generation were taught a strong work ethic, to stay away from evil music and drugs and they had immense respect for all authority. :mg: I spewed my wine through my nose. (I do NOT recommend that by the way)

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
this is too funny! When I (as a late member of the boomer generation) went to work (at the company that Jennifer refers to) I remember wanting exactly those same 3 things!

I am one of those who vehemently rejected our HR's attempt to better on board the millennials. Not because I thought the things they wanted to do were wrong, but that I didn't think they were unique to millennials ; I thought we all needed them. Of course in my day all of us young whipper snappers wanted cubicles (we had bean bags in our college dorms and knew that bean bags were NOT meant for studying or work :notme:). we couldn't wait to get out of the rows of old gun metal grey desks in a vast open area. Of course now I sit in an area of rows of modern looking desks all lined up in a row in a vast open area...

Over Christmas I saw a posting from someone who was bemoaning the fact that today's generation was lazy, obsessed with music and drugs and had no respect for authority. They then went on to say that in the sixties she and her generation were taught a strong work ethic, to stay away from evil music and drugs and they had immense respect for all authority. :mg: I spewed my wine through my nose. (I do NOT recommend that by the way)

Great post, Bev:lmao:
But thinking about it, these guys are actually right: They were taught these things, they just, like young people always did and do, happily and consistently ignored them:D
Strange things that time does to our memories...

Top Bottom