Would switching from automotive industry to a bicycle manufacturing industry be a good move?

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Hello again,

I was recently about to accept new position in a small automotive company, but decided not to. Now on the table came up a position for Quality Head in a top manufacturing bicycle company in Europe with year growth of about 40 percent, new base and modern technology. Mainly e-bikes low end and high end.
I have 6 years of experience in the automotive sector and I am not sure whether going to another industry is a good strategy for my personal development or better stick to automotive? The pay is even higher compared to what I was offered for the other automotive company and since it has around 300 employees it is also quite a dynamic workplace with many quality problems on internal /external level + supplier issues, according to company management when I spoke with them. What is your opinion? Is changing industries a good move or not? I find it challenging and with a lot of possibilities to learn and see new processes and products.

Thanks for any advices and input.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I changed industries many time. Started in the Semiconductor fabrication industry, moved to electric motors, then to automotive (Honda) then to Aircraft engines then to Winches to Electronic board assembly then to veterinary diagnostic testing (instruments, rapid assay tests and laboratory testing).

Changing industries challenges, broadens and deepens your skills. Staying in one industry can make you stale and dependent ton what works 10 years ago…

Randy

Super Moderator
Trust me, your proposed change is child's play compared to what I've done since I was 17.

As a person who has taken off in more airplanes than he has landed in I tell folks to THINK, if you feel comfortable, JUMP, if not, sit down and figure something else to do. $50 to jump out of an airplane may not really be that good of a deal.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Trust me, your proposed change is child's play compared to what I've done since I was 17.

As a person who has taken off in more airplanes than he has landed in I tell folks to THINK, if you feel comfortable, JUMP, if not, sit down and figure something else to do. $50 to jump out of an airplane may not really be that good of a deal.
I did not understand you very well, sorry.

I changed industries many time. Started in the Semiconductor fabrication industry, moved to electric motors, then to automotive (Honda) then to Aircraft engines then to Winches to Electronic board assembly then to veterinary diagnostic testing (instruments, rapid assay tests and laboratory testing).

Changing industries challenges, broadens and deepens your skills. Staying in one industry can make you stale and dependent ton what works 10 years ago…

The part that you challenge yourself and your skills is so true. I feel it that way as well.

I am just not sure if in the future companies will value more experience in the automotive field or they generally consider manufacturing experience and QMS principles as a whole. I know one can impress with skills, but first you need that call for a meeting.

Thanks for input.

EdenG

Starting to get Involved
I am just not sure if in the future companies will value more experience in the automotive field or they generally consider manufacturing experience and QMS principles as a whole. I know one can impress with skills, but first you need that call for a meeting.

Thanks for input.
Yes, but you have 6 years experience in the Automotive sector. If you wanted to re-enter that should be enough to secure you an interview, especially if you put that experience / skillset back to the forefront on your CV. Just make sure you excel and learn lots at the bike manufacturer!

We're talking about diversifying your skillset here. Top end bike manufacturers are going to have unique and interesting challenges for you. You're more likely to be a bigger cog in the picture with a circa 300 employee headcount.

I say go for it.

PS Slightly biased, mad road cyclist and would love to have this position. Jees, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Very simple, if you think it's right for you do it, if not don't, but just don't look at the money.
Yes, I agree with you that you should not look at the money as a key factor, especially when we are not talking about huge differences. I prefer to receive less and to know that the organisation is really trying to improve and grow together , than to earn more in an organisation where people are just pretending they care and have negative attitude - "i can't" instead of - "how could we make it", so a key factor for me at this stage is also the mindset and strategy of an organisation. The problem is that from 1-2 meetings up-front prior to taking a decision and visiting the manufacturing plant, is not always that easy to see the biggest picture and the reality.

Maybe you or other more experienced members have some advices on how to recognise a company up-front that has a strategy on paper, but in reality is failing to achieve it , nor is trying to do so.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Yes, but you have 6 years experience in the Automotive sector. If you wanted to re-enter that should be enough to secure you an interview, especially if you put that experience / skillset back to the forefront on your CV. Just make sure you excel and learn lots at the bike manufacturer!

We're talking about diversifying your skillset here. Top end bike manufacturers are going to have unique and interesting challenges for you. You're more likely to be a bigger cog in the picture with a circa 300 employee headcount.

I say go for it.

PS Slightly biased, mad road cyclist and would love to have this position. Jees, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

You have a point, thank you. I am also cyclotouring and love doing that, so it's a plus I guess, when it comes to taking a final decision.

Probably in the next week I will have a second meeting with the company, this time with top management involved, can you suggest some smart questions that I should ask in order to get a deeper understanding of their strategy, mindset and how they are executing it? Thank you.

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
I worked for 17 years in the lighting industry for a large multinational company, then 6 years in the printer industry, and now 13 years in sub-con manufacturing that includes components for Automotive, Oil & Gas, Hydraulic, Cable Glands and many other industries.

I can happily say that I brought very helpful and impactful ideas, tools and training from my previous industries to each of the following industries, while continuing to learn new things to challenge and develop myself, that I otherwise would not have got from a single industry.

As the saying goes “A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.”
While many people associate the term “jack of all trades” with negativity, it was never meant to be a negative. It was actually a compliment.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I learned a lot from my years in automotive that I was able to transfer to other industries. I will say that the stress of being a tier 1 supplier was very intense, and I was happy to make a switch to other industries. I used to pop Tylenol daily for stress headaches up until I left automotive. Never had a stress headache afterwards.

Added: I had a friend and coworker that worked for two of the major USA based automotive OEMs. He said that their engineers had the following policy:
  1. Blame the supplier first. Guilty until proven innocent.
  2. If the supplier somehow proves their innocence, blame the assembly plant next.
  3. If and only if the assembly plant can prove their innocence, look for an unlikely design issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom