MySQL - PHP Document Control (Free!)

J

jbmx1

Re: Let me explain

I could not agree more with Greg. For our small company of 50+ administrative employees, it is a nightmare to keep our documents up to date. We are still using the read-only, network directory approach but the nature of the automotive business has rendered this system obsolete. We have been praised by many of our customers for being an example to other suppliers but in all honesty, I believe that this can only be entirely true when we create a solid system for managing our documentation. I do not mind going through the hassle of installing this once, it will soon pay off if it delivers as it promises. I will certainly give it a try and I thank Greg for bringing it to the cove.

I think that we need to get out of the paradigms and explore new ways of doing business with a high level of confidence in our quality and documentation systems.

Regards to all

Javier

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Greg,
Thank you for sharing. I'll try to test later.
Its been so long and I have some problem using Access, though MySQL is no longer new to me, as this is an application that I learned from my previous company, but I have to read again my old notes so that i can catch up again with MySQL.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
best regards,
raffy :cool:

R

rudolfnco

Some problems I encountered with our read-only files shared in our company network:

1) I use a PDF as a table of contents to link to other documents. When someone has that PDF file open, I can't change the file. Meaning if I want to revise the PDF, I have wait until EVERYONE is off the file (which is... almost never). This will also be a problem even if you use Excel to function as table of contents.

2) Multiple users cannot access Excel files simultaneously.

Maybe there are ways around these issues, but I'm now looking at other free softwares (not just for these reasons).

coets

Registered
I agree with Bob and M,

I opened it up, started the demo and I immediately thought it was too complicated. I am going to have a better look at it later but I know for sure no-one in my organisation would look at it. Maybe in a larger company this type of thing might work.

What I did for my Document control was designed an intranet and saved all linked documents to read only folders. Like M says, it simple. I have made the intranet very user friendly and as interesting as possible. I use it to display photographs of nights out, make important social announcements and of course, for all QMS documentation, forms, logs, databases - the works.

It took a day to set up. That was 4 months ago and now staff from other departments are happy to log in, check out the dates for the next night out and look up the latest news on the quality front. I know its a bit of bribe...but it works.

I would be happy to share the concept and set up with anyone who is interested.

Cathy
Cathy

I would be pleased to receive your concept regarding the intranet.

Thanks

Sandra

B

BigMac

You are most welcome. We are still using this FREE software nearly four years later and have had NO problems with it. It is regulary updated and we often send in suggestions for improvements :)
Hi Greg,

I know its been awhile since you posted here, but if you are still reading these posts, could you send me your work instructions for this document database?

Thanks very much!

Top Bottom