Non-tactile ID measurement question

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
That is a really cool piece of equipment. Most of the videos I've found are showing hard metal rings. What is the softest material you've experienced them work with. Also what is the range you experienced with each of the rods?
It's non-contact so it can be used for anything that can withstand the air pressure without deforming. I was using it for teflon parts where a pin or inside caliper scratch could ruin the part AND for 100% inspection since it's fast.

Watton1440

Registered
Keyence IM and LM-X are both vision systems that could work for you. But you're talking 60k and 100k respectivly. They are fast, like almost instant for a single measurement like that. Unlike the air gage, you can use for any size. Downside, like any vision system, and like mentioned on here, you can't evaluate the entire ID surface. I used to nag on Keyence, but their new stuff is getting pretty darn good.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Its ~.01" tolerance band, but it goes up and down depending on the overall size which can range from 3/64 to over 3"

I think the Mahr air gage would be very pricey for limited options. For what you are looking for, I can only think of a vision system. I cannot think of any other contactless measuring method. The Keyence or MicroVu (or another brand like Mitutoyo) would work. I know Keyence does on-site demo's as I get a call about every 2-3 months asking to demo another machine. If the cost is within budget, I also think any of the vision systems will not only measure the feature your looking for, but once you start using it, you will find it measures so much more.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I think the Mahr air gage would be very pricey for limited options. For what you are looking for, I can only think of a vision system. I cannot think of any other contactless measuring method. The Keyence or MicroVu (or another brand like Mitutoyo) would work. I know Keyence does on-site demo's as I get a call about every 2-3 months asking to demo another machine. If the cost is within budget, I also think any of the vision systems will not only measure the feature your looking for, but once you start using it, you will find it measures so much more.
Yes - for that range of sizes the air gage would be very expensive. You'd need a lot of plugs and a lot of rings gages to calibrate it with.

And Keyence really loves to come do demos.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Consider OGP brand measurement systems. When we demoed about 8 months ago, OGP was much easier to program than a MicroVu. The biggest difference was that on larger holes (1-4 inches), an OGP could have 3-4 points programed in just an arc and then find the rest of the hole, while the MiocroVu system needed around dozen points from all around the diameter.

Top Bottom