IATF 16949 certification rules

rviso

Registered
Hello everybody

this is my experience: my company produces components for industrial market (material handling). Most of them are big industrial machines manufacturers. Their requirements are very similar to IATF ones. Some of them have also automotive division. If we get this certification we could enter into automotive division business.

CEO decided to develop a QMS based on IATF and certified it. Who can consider as an automotive customer (necessary for getting IATF certification)?
5th rules talking about "letter of conformance" I'm not sure this is the case:bonk:

thanks in advance for your experience

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody
this is my experience: my company produces components for industrial market (material handling). Most of them are big industrial machines manufacturers. Their requirements are very similar to IATF ones. Some of them have also automotive division. If we get this certification we could enter into automotive division business.
CEO decided to develop a QMS based on IATF and certified it. Who can consider as an automotive customer (necessary for getting IATF certification)?
5th rules talking about "letter of conformance" I'm not sure this is the case:bonk:

A good question for your registrar. Sounds like it will be really specific to your products and situation. If your products don't go into the automotive supply chain, I am not sure you're eligible.

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
My understanding is much the same, your company needs to be making something for the automotive industry in order to satisfy the requirements of the IATF16949 automotive QMS standard. Our CB auditors focus on automotive products and associated processes when they are auditing against IATF16949.

jack770214

Involved In Discussions
Hello everybody

If you do not produce a component that goes into an automobile but have plans to in the future then become or stay certified to ISO9001: 2015 and become compliant to IATF16949. You can ask your registrar to perform compliance but not certification audits and proclaim self complaince to IATF until you have an automotive application for your product being sold. I have seen some registrars bend the rules as long as you can show contracts for future sales to an automotive customer.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

jfries2

Involved In Discussions
IATF 16949 Rules book 5th edition states the following in section 1.0, page 6 -

"Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufacturing and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949 certification."

Clearly you cannot obtain certification, but as suggested, consult with your registrar about a compliance audit.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
from the rules

5.14 Letter of conformance
The purpose of the letter of conformance is to confirm that processes exist that satisfy the requirements of IATF 16949 and these “Rules” and where the client is not able to achieve IATF 16949 certification because of:
a} a new site without twelve {12} months of internal or external performance data for the automotive production and/or service parts in the scope of certification;
b} an existing site that can demonstrate it is on an active bid list for a customer requiring IATF 16949 certification or compliance.

Top Bottom