Naked-image full-body scanners to be taken out of U.S. airports

Randy

Super Moderator
Ahhhhhh Radio waves! And just how does a micro-wave oven work? There's a few sterile folks walking around that worked on radar

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Ahhhhhh Radio waves! And just how does a micro-wave oven work? There's a few sterile folks walking around that worked on radar
Now Randy has less excuse to ask for a full body pat down instead of a radiation blast.

catemu

Registered
My concern: I just hope it's not too cold when they put me through one of those... to avoid any embarrassment... :D

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Taken out of Manchester and other UK airports too. Friend of a friend will get her job back now. She was suitably qualified to perform full body cavity searches. Now that is not something to put on you CV if you are having a career change! Also got nervous when she put her marigolds on to do the dishes.

So is it the miniscule risk of cancer that has done for these scanners and not the privacy issues? There was a guy who got sacked or arrested after he made a female colleague go through the machine and sent the images around to colleagues. In Manchester Airport I believe.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
My concern: I just hope it's not too cold when they put me through one of those... to avoid any embarrassment... :D

Hey! If cancer is the reason then better hope it is cold less risk of going sterile...smaller target for the rays!!!:D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
At my age, one has to lose all sense of dignity and modesty anyway because of all the intrusive activity getting medical services. Last time I had a lower GI scan, I was told to disrobe and put on a large gown about the size of a circus tent "for my modesty and to preserve my dignity." Then the two female technicians and the female radiologist proceeded to pull the gown up around my neck "so they could see to aim the machine.":mg::frust:

T

tomvehoski

The official reason the backscatter machines were removed is, IIRC, there was a congressional mandate that the privacy software (gumby screen) had to be implemented by a certain date. The manufacturer was unable to implement the technology so they were scrapped.

There was speculation that potential cancer could be the real reason - especially for the TSOs that had to stand next to them all day.

There is a valid medical benefit to giving up some dignity to have a medical exam. Assuming the position and being felt up by TSA workers hired from pizza box applications is just theater.

Top Bottom