Controlling Documentation - Which procedures to control

S

starfish

Hello there, would like to have some general guidance and opinions please. We have a manual DC system project based company, what procedures do we control via the control copy holders list? Can anyone explain how this works :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
<snip>what procedures do we control via the control copy holders list? Can anyone explain how this works?</snip>

You should control all your QMS documents. If you are using ISO 9001, these are (from section 4.2.1): quality policy, quality objectives, quality manual, procedures and records required by the Standard, and documents determined by the organization to be necessary to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes.

Whether you control these documents through a "control copy holders list" or other means is up to you.

"Control" requires you (from Sec. 4.2.3)

a) to approve documents for adequacy prior to issue,
b) to review and update as necessary and re-approve documents,
c) to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified,
d) to ensure that relevant versions of applicable documents are available at points of use,
e) to ensure that documents remain legible and readily identifiable,
f) to ensure that documents of external origin determined by the organization to be necessary for the planning and operation of the quality management system are identified and their distribution controlled, and
g) to prevent the unintended use of obsolete documents, and to apply suitable identification to them if they are retained for any purpose.

You may do this by keeping your documents in "controlled binders", and keeping the "controlled copy holders list" that you mention. But a setup like that is hard to maintain, especially if you have more than a dozen documents. Electronic documents in a shared drive are an improvement, but even this setup is practical only if you have a small set of docs.

For a much easier and scalable path look into wikis. Wikis are a special kind of website that your employees can edit collaboratively. They make document control almost automatic, are easy to maintain, and are very affordable (some are open source).

Good luck!
Pancho

J

JaneB

Hello there, would like to have some general guidance and opinions please. We have a manual DC system project based company, what procedures do we control via the control copy holders list? Can anyone explain how this works :thanks:

The how of how it works is up to you. ie, there's many, many, many different ways of doing it. Do a search through threads & attachments and you'll find one heck of a lot of advice and examples.

First (as well as main) thing to focus on is the why of doing it.

Give us more detail about what kind of info you need to control, and what you're doing now, to get better more targeted advice.

S

starfish

:thanx:The problem is, we have a main office having a number of projects run from the office, the clients link in with the main office, however the work is completed offshore, the offshore worksites can not access the main office servers, therefore the guys on the project in the main office have been e-mailing the project and company procedures with no control, therefore how do we know there working off the latest revision, the only way is off the front sheet "issued for use". The only way I can think of controlling the documents is to put in a step for having a control copy holders list, marking the document up in the way for controlled issue, and ensuring this copy is scanned to the people whom need it offshore. Your comments are welcome to help please

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
:thanx:The problem is, we have a main office having a number of projects run from the office, the clients link in with the main office, however the work is completed offshore, the offshore worksites can not access the main office servers, therefore the guys on the project in the main office have been e-mailing the project and company procedures with no control, therefore how do we know there working off the latest revision, the only way is off the front sheet "issued for use". The only way I can think of controlling the documents is to put in a step for having a control copy holders list, marking the document up in the way for controlled issue, and ensuring this copy is scanned to the people whom need it offshore. Your comments are welcome to help please
Based on the operations you describe I can't think of a way to accomplish effective document control with a paper system. In addition, a centralized web based document control system may prove too cumbersome for your needs.

What about a Wiki system as Pancho has suggested? He has written articles based on his experience converting to a Wiki based document control system:

What is the point of a Wiki?
Using a wiki for QMS documentation
Using a Wiki for Document Control

I have been looking into this option for my own organization.

S

starfish

Based on the operations you describe I can't think of a way to accomplish effective document control with a paper system. In addition, a centralized web based document control system may prove too cumbersome for your needs.

What about a Wiki system as Pancho has suggested? He has written articles based on his experience converting to a Wiki based document control system:

What is the point of a Wiki?
Using a wiki for QMS documentation
Using a Wiki for Document Control

I have been looking into this option for my own organization.
The wiki does sound an excellent doc control tool. However the problem is that this would not be available as a live tool offshore.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
The wiki does sound an excellent doc control tool. However the problem is that this would not be available as a live tool offshore.

It is easy to set up your wiki on a internet server, either yours or hosted. We use it extensively at our offshore plant and jobsites.

As you, our company is project-based. Each project has several submittals prepared specifically for it. These are delivered to our clients on the wiki itself (by creating for each a small exclusive subwiki). Then, upon installation, our site consultants access the wiki from the jobsite for the installation manual and always-current qms docs.

Last edited:
S

starfish

Where do I find more information about this method please? Thanks very much for all your help.

J

JaneB

Electronic systems are always good.

Alternative (to wiki): produce *.pdf copies of the approved, current docs, and post them to a website/intranet/similar. Only the *.pdf copies are current. If it changes, upload the new version. Users MUST always check they are using the same as on the website.

Top Bottom