Visual inspection standards - VDA 16 or Equivalent

sebastr23

Starting to get Involved
Does anyone know if there exists any standard for visual inspection. I know there one VDA standard, VDA16 or something. But problem is, that VDA is in German language and I am looking in English.

Anyone knows?

andka907

Involved In Discussions
Re: Visual inspection standards

VDA 16 is pretty good.
I have one in english.

There are also other ways - how to assess aluminium...

If you want a link I give you that.

BR

sebastr23

Starting to get Involved

VDA 16 is pretty good.
I have one in english.

There are also other ways - how to assess aluminium...

If you want a link I give you that.

BR
I would kindely ask for link, if you can give it to me.

BR

sebastr23

Starting to get Involved

Because I am working in a company (consumer products), where we have a lot of visually important parts, products, so I am looking for one general standard that is describing how to check parts, what could be acceptable... Similar to VDA16

BR
Sebastijan

andka907

Involved In Discussions

Here you can find VDA band in english:
http://webshop.vda.de/QMC/index.php?cPath=23_24

Cost: 30€ + freight

Here is one way to asses the aluminium surface:
http://www.profilgruppen.se/?id=1362&ao=industri&aid=926&l2=1269&ctx=1269
(NOT my working place)

Similar A4 sheet to evaluate distance, I have seen one OEM is using.

I have one standard to evaluate a certain product ongoing to be approved by OEM.
It is more detailed, based on the OEM's standard.

Many customers are using A,B and C surfaces - sometimes defining zones for the vehicle - that is you have together with the customer clarify if the part is direct, indirect or not visible - then what part of the part is A direct visible B - indirect visible (you have to turn it x degrees to be able to see the surface) and C not visible. Then define how to asses it and what demand there is.

Believe me, if you are design responsible, first make a standard (feasible to what you are producing / deliver) and say this is what we are capabale of and want this standard approved - otherwise they just reject because they are scare to say yes.

As some customer stated - no defects are allowed. Then it is impossible to produce - because nothing is against "mother nature" - you can always see some defect with a magnifier. And no one of our fellow automotive is working the same and acceptance is very difference.

Just remember when a standard is applied you have to use it in visual inspection - if it is inspected by human - you probably will never have 0 PPM. You need well trained operators and for some customers you might need to check the item by more than one operator. This can be very expensive!!

Now our fellow q guys says - how to eliminate the root cause - answer: sometimes the root cause is due to normal process variations and can't be eliminated in existing processes for this product on the market.

I have seen advanced VI system that detect more than your eye will detect, but these are probably very expensive system.

Notice I have only worked in this automotive business for 3 years...
BR

C

Claudio_Caballero

Hi Everyone!!

Do you know someone that can give us a curse of VDA 16 in Mexico?

Now I'm looking for a Expert in VDA 16 standart for give us at prestige autimotive industry in Irapuato Mexico a Curses specific topic in VDA 16, I need that want to impart the course in Mexico, speak spanish, and avaliable to travel for the course (could be mexican or foreign), if you know at someone interested please contact me...

Thanks a lot,
regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom