What Standards are required for Food Packaging? Thinking along hygiene, HACCP etc.

J

johnstrat

Does anyone know what standards a company must comply with for food packaging? The company manufactures paper cardboard type packaging and is considering entering the food packaging market.

I am thinking along hygiene, HACCP etc.
Another question: can one integrate the requirements of these standards within the operation of the ISO 9001 quality system, or do they require separate procedures and manuals?

Thanks
Johnstrat

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
johnstrat said:
Does anyone know what standards a company must comply with for food packaging? The company manufactures paper cardboard type packaging and is considering entering the food packaging market.

I am thinking along hygiene, HACCP etc.
Another question: can one integrate the requirements of these standards within the operation of the ISO 9001 quality system, or do they require separate procedures and manuals?

Thanks
Johnstrat
What part of the world?

S

SilverHawk

ISO 22000 is still at its FDIS stage. It hope to give approval ballot voting by Sept. 2005. But the IAF have yet to decide whether it would be an accredited certification scheme or just any CB can certified and issue their own certificate.

ISO 22000 is a good marriage of all the existing food standards.

J

johnstrat

Thanks for the feedback guys. What I have found out so far is that in South Africa we have SANS 10330 which covers the HACCP requirements and is a standalone certification, and then SANS 1049 which covers the Hygiene requirements. I will be implementing their requirements under the ISO 9001 umbrella.

Attachments

• Food_Safety_Audit_Checklist.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 430
  • Hygiene_Audit_Checklist.pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 373
T

Tanahy

I dont know what is the best for your organization, but a method that I'm using is to cross reference any required item by the two systems, as example, In HACCP system, it is required to have SSOP's , I had the instructions for this already in my ISO9001:2000 system in something we call (Instructions Manual) so we referred in the HACCP plan to this procedure with its code, this was useful for most of the GMP,GHPs and GLP's, Also we have one policy "Quality and Food safety policy" and in both manuals, HACCP and QA manuals, we referred to each system to avoid any possible dublications.

I hope this is useful for you.
regards
Tanahy

Top Bottom