Structure and Content of Job Descriptions

J

JodiB

ISO/IEC 17025 is different from ISO 9001 because it specifically requires job descriptions and a Note lists specific topics to include in the job description.

Our typical job descriptions for HR purposes ( to post a position, etc.) are fairly generic. Lab Analyst, Chemist, etc. We may ask for specific skill set like experience in ICP or IC or GC depending on the opening we're looking to fill, but that's just a tweaking of the text for the posting. Nowhere in the job description is there a mention of the items in the Note : responsibilities with respect for reporting opinions and interpretations, responsibilities with respect to method modification, etc.

Since the actual responsibilities for these activities are going to be dependent on the competency of the individual, I'm not sure how to create the job descriptions for ISO 17025.

For example, I would expect more experience of someone who would be providing interpretations and modifiying methods. So a job description for "Analyst" doesn't cover all the bases. I could set X years experience and x degree for "Analyst", and that would be enough for running tests, but I would need X years experience or demonstrated competency for "Analyst" to do method modification.

Do you just add statements to the generic Analyst job description such as " This position is primarily responsible for performing tests, but may participate in method modification and development and validation of new methods"....?

How have you structured your job descriptions?

G

Gmzita

Hi Jodi - :bigwave:

Under our ISO 17025 Program we have the HR job description that is used to meet local and national employment regulations for advertising and hiring . Then we have the Key Personnel list under Section 4.1 of our QA Manual which lists more specific information in regards to job responsibilities within the QMS. Some of the Key Personnel listings include a note: This position may __________.

We fill in the blank based on the ability to appoint deputies, act as an approved signatory, perform calibrations, etc.

This allows us to appoint personnel to fill additional requirements based on education, experience, expertise, etc. but not necessarily lock an individual in if they are not qualified for the additional duties; it also helps to establish goals and training areas. We document everything in the training and proficiency record to tie it all together.

Top Bottom