Receiving Gage Design

C

COGWMNF

I need to design a receiving gage to accept a product with a primary hole and two concentric holes. My question is can I use a simple plate (location for datum A), a large pin (for datum B) and a stepped pin (for the concentric holes). What I am confused about in the perpendicularity requirement for the large hole (datum B). Does this requirement influence the gage pin size for the hole? In our company we usually make gage pins .0002 smaller than required for ease of fit. Therefore I'm planning on making the larger pin to a size of .5618 and the stepped pin to .4661 / .3103. Please review this and let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks

Attachments

• 2 coaxial holesP M.jpg
    2 coaxial holesP M.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 210
  • lower X-section M.jpg
    lower X-section M.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 207

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I need to design a receiving gage to accept a product with a primary hole and two concentric holes. My question is can I use a simple plate (location for datum A), a large pin (for datum B) and a stepped pin (for the concentric holes). What I am confused about in the perpendicularity requirement for the large hole (datum B). Does this requirement influence the gage pin size for the hole? In our company we usually make gage pins .0002 smaller than required for ease of fit. Therefore I'm planning on making the larger pin to a size of .5618 and the stepped pin to .4661 / .3103. Please review this and let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks

Can you add a drawing that shows datum feature "H"?

This is not a situation where you design and make a "one-size-fits-all" functional gage.

C

COGWMNF

View showing datum H attached

Attachments

• upper X-section M.jpg
    upper X-section M.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 218

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I haven't worked thru it fully but I'm pretty sure that the .4661 is too generous (small) and will accept potentially nonconforming parts. If you make the main pin .0002 smaller than MMM and you make the other pin smaller by the tolerance (.002) and the matchining tolerance (.0002) the are all shrinking the pin. You can subtract off the initial pin but you need to compensate ( reduce from the .002 tolerance). I think the pin should be at a minimum .4665 (.4683 - .002 + .0002).

David

Top Bottom