Organization Chart Document Numbering

D

Dallen378

This may sound like a silly question, and perhaps the answer is as obvious as I think it is. As I am developing a new Org Chart for our company, I am surprised to find that our previous one was not assigned a document number or controlled. So my question is, in creating this new one and creating our new quality manual along the 9001:2015 standard, I would like to control and reference the org chart within it (5.3 Organizational roles...). It's not an OP, it's not a WI.

My assumption is that an Org Chart is a Technical Aid or a Visual Aid

Or does it even matter. Is this left to my own discretion?

Thanks in advance

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Document type and document number do not matter. What matters are content and accessibility. A QMS document should be useful and should be easy to find when needed.

With a good system, numbers and doc types could be omitted or be invisible and no one will miss them. And documents can still be controlled as required by the standard.

Q

QAMTY

What I do,it is to name to these kind of documents,reference documents.
E.g. for procedures PRO-PUR-001 (procedure for purchasing ), RED-HR-001 (organizational chart, belonging to human resources).

Randy

Super Moderator
And it's more of a document as it's subject to periodic revision and an old one becomes a record of what used to be.

Numbering and all that stuff eventually becomes a self inflicted wound "Org Chart" Rev "#" or Rev "date" for instance is sufficient as long as your document control procedure allows it.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
Try defining a record series of "Organizational structure", purpose: high-level authority/responsibility (as applicable).
Then have single record validity defined as valid until superseded, making the latest record in the series always the current one. It also shows the developments over time by the fact that the records are retained.
Core rationale: the organizational chart reflects decisions made in the past about who/what function has authority/responsibility. Making it a document can mean, especially when names are included or identical functions are not noted as single-box, that revisions go up quickly.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW, we use document number and revision as a big part of Change Management.

How do people know the document is the most current without these?

They don't without the revision indicator. But Pancho didn't say that didn't matter. There needs to be a unique identifier, which may or may not be a document number, and a revision indicator.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
FWIW, we use document number and revision as a big part of Change Management.

How do people know the document is the most current without these?

Custom software and wikis make those numbers near invisible to users. You'd hardly ever need to locate a document by its number, as its much easier to jump to it through menus or search. And the software manages changes automatically. You are always served the current version except when you specifically need to review change history.

These tools are not expensive. Document control without them is.

Top Bottom