How to get more Auditing Experience

L

Low Britz

Good day, this is my first post

I work within SQA and recently completed my ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditors training. The audits that I currently do is mainly Supplier capability audits. I would like to get some more Quality Systems auditing experience and need some guidance/mentoring. Maybe there is someone out there that can help.

Thanks Low

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Getting more Auditing experiance

What's your goal?

I audit 100-150 days a year.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Getting more Auditing experience

I thought it would be a good idea at some point to find a person on this forums, who is responsible for an internal audit program, such as myself.

I thought we might trade data, and do an audit on each other's internal audit program (avoiding the must not audit own work scenario).

Perhaps this would be something for you?

Randy

Super Moderator

Naa, I mainly do 3rd party certification audits. I do some internal audits but right now they are limited and fairly pricey

Pretty soon the "auditing ones own work" is going into the dumpster where it belongs

You are taking a pretty reasonable approach except that most organizations wouldn't want an unknown person auditing in the scenario you're presenting.

It's very, very tough for a person new to the field to gain experience without doing the work, and most folks won't give you the work because of lack of experience...Catch 22

You guys are also doing AS9100? If so your bandwidth for possibility has narrowed

Try your local ASQ chapter in the Burbank area and maybe meet up with someone face-to-face that can help

Last edited:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: How to get more auditing experience ?

Good day, this is my first post

I work within SQA and recently completed my ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditors training. The audits that I currently do is mainly Supplier capability audits. I would like to get some more Quality Systems auditing experience and need some guidance/mentoring. Maybe there is someone out there that can help.

Thanks Low

Get more involved in the Internal Auditing, and spend time auditing Suppliers. Work with someone that has a few years behind their belt. Let them take you under their wing, and provide you some on-the-job training. Volunteer to be involved in any customer and/or Registrar audits. Watch, take notes, watch techniques, get a good understanding of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party audits.

These should help you in my opinion.

Q

QAMTY

Good training and practice, its good idea to accompany an auditor with lot of experience when he is auditing.

Big Jim

Admin

Talk to a certification body. Many of them have programs to help auditors get started. As you know you need to have a certain number of days auditing to become a lead auditor and they can help you team up with auditors. Most certification bodies need auditors so they have an interest in helping auditors get started. That said, that doesn't mean it's going to be easy.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

The new standard does not say "Auditors cannot audit their own work".

Big Jim

Admin

That doesn't seem to be on topic, but it is true. ISO 9001:2015 no longer includes the phrase "auditors cannot audit their own work".

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

But in 9.2.2 c) it states: select auditors and conduct audits to ensure objectivity and the impartiality of the audit process.

How would you eliminate "the fox guarding the henhouse?" ;)

Top Bottom