Outsourcing ISO documentation?

R

ramvaidhya - 2009

I wants to know how the outsourcing of ISO documentation work is happening. How this process is carried out? How big is this service ..some guess / estimate are welcome.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
You can hire a consultant or exprienced 'techie' to write SOME of your documents, but typically it is preferable that a company produce documentation internally.

S

selena15

As Mark said
many use to take an consultant to establish the system and in the same time to make training, if there is no one within the organization; to the person who will be in charge of it and implement it in the system.
The most important, i think is to have within the organization which is enough aware about the ISO documentation in order to established and to implemente it :). If you are a multinational; you can get a help "internaly" from one of your colleagues in another location.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
If you have an experienced person in charge of overall implementation of the Management System, you could even hire a clerk or student to help develop your documentation. Students, especially, are a great - and often overlooked - resource! They get a wonderful learning opportunity and you get someone who is eager to work.

Hiring a consultant (or consulting firm) can be expensive - factors that may impact the overall cost include:

• Size of your organization
  • Complexity of your processes
  • Maturity of your existing system
  • Amount of internal resources your company is willing to provide

It's very difficult for us to provide you with an estimate of the overall cost or even a consultant's "hourly rate" as this may depending on their own experience and "newness" to the consultancy world (i.e., a new consultant is looking to establish him/herself and thus may have a lower rate than a more experienced consultant).

If your organization is determined to hire a consultant, I would recommend that this consultant document only the higher-level documentation, but facilitate/coordinate the development of process work instructions to your own internal personnel. This entails training your people who do the actual jobs to also write about what they do...they know what they do best. The consultant can simply review the documentation and ensure that it fits all requirements.

J

JaneB

I wants to know how the outsourcing of ISO documentation work is happening. How this process is carried out? How big is this service ..some guess / estimate are welcome.

This is a question somewhat like 'how long is a piece of string'? Impossible to say with so little information given. It'll depend on various factors, such as those listed by Roxanne.

If you have an experienced person in charge of overall implementation of the Management System, you could even hire a clerk or student to help develop your documentation. Students, especially, are a great - and often overlooked - resource! They get a wonderful learning opportunity and you get someone who is eager to work.

Hiring a consultant (or consulting firm) can be expensive

A student is certainly cheap and at times can be useful PROVIDED that, as you say, you have someone experienced in charge. They invariably need a lot of supervision because they lack experience (as one would expect) and aren't always very good at process analysis, understanding procedures and writing (all underrated skills).

Without an experienced person overseeing a student or newbie, it's a recipe for disaster and money-wasting in my experience. I've had to deal with/clean up the "results" many times.

I can't let the 'consultant is expensive' stand as always true: good ones are worth their cost. (Of course I'm biased).

But because of our experience and skills, we know what's required, have done it before, work much, much faster and thus often work out cheaper than spending 2-3 times as long with a student, not to mention producing a better result with usually higher value.

A

Aaron Lupo

Why would anyone want a consulant developing/documenting thier system for them? While I agree a consultnat can sometimes add value to the development of a system they should not develop it alone. You are the ones that will be using it you need to understand it and put your own stamp on it.

B

Bob the QE

We used an experienced ISO auditor who was out of work. He did the interviewing; flow charting and process mapping and then we (internal) did the scribing. It worked pretty well, less expensive than a consultant, we did not feel the pressure of the individual "knowing what is needed" plus it gave this person an income until they could get full time work. So ask you network within you org, business types or professional societies.

Good luck

J

JaneB

Why would anyone want a consulant developing/documenting thier system for them? .
Some of the various reasons include: they don't know how to do this themselves, they don't have the resources/skills or time in house to do it, they have assessed the cost of training and/or hiring someone inhouse to do it, and decided it's cheaper to get it done by someone, etc.

While I agree a consultnat can sometimes add value to the development of a system they should not develop it alone.

"Alone"? Good heavens, no. I don't know where you got that idea from, but I fully agree with you that the idea having a consultant do this 'alone' or in isolation would be a/impossible and b/a dreadfully bad idea (even if it were possible, which it isn't). Any so-called "consultant" who says they can do this 'alone' is a consultant I wouldn't dream of using.

You are the ones that will be using it you need to understand it and put your own stamp on it.
Exactly - again I strongly agree with you. That's why any even half-way reasonable consultant/contractor/technical writer/whoever knows this, and builds it into the process.

And just before I posted this, Bob points out a good example of what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JaneB

We used an experienced ISO auditor who was out of work.... It worked pretty well, less expensive than a consultant

I'd contend that you were using a consultant - an out of work auditor, acting as a consultant on your job.

I feel like I keep harping on this, but I do get a bit jaded with the oh so frequent 'all consultants are always expensive and not worth it' myth that keeps being promulgated. Tis not a truth!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
My thoughts mirror Jane's exactly.

“If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.”

Red Adair

Top Bottom