Eliminating a Recurring Problem of Missing Weld Nuts/Fasteners

L

Laser

We seem to have a re-occuring problem of missing weld nuts or similar. What are some suggestions on ensuring that this problem go away?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

N

Neil V.

Re: Missing Weld Nuts/Fasteners

Problem as in falling off or as in didn't weld in first place? Manual operation?

I'll assume forgotten and welded manually-

If you are manually welding you could go to robotic. Maybe not feasible...

If you are doing short runs you could count out the number of weld studs/nuts that are required and give the operator that exact amount. If you have leftovers or not enough then you know you have an issue.

L

Laser

Problem as in falling off or as in didn't weld in first place? Manual operation?

I'll assume forgotten and welded manually-

If you are manually welding you could go to robotic. Maybe not feasible...

If you are doing short runs you could count out the number of weld studs/nuts that are required and give the operator that exact amount. If you have leftovers or not enough then you know you have an issue.

Its forgotten weld nuts/fasteners.

Manual operation, and robotic is not feasible. Short runs of 100-1000 parts with 8- 30 weld nuts/fasteners per unit.

Thank you.

N

Neil V.

Short runs of 100-1000 parts with 8- 30 weld nuts/fasteners per unit.

I see. That's quite a few welds per part. I think this is a pretty common problem.

Are all welds done consecutively at the same setup?

I've heard of having welders sign of each weld they did on a weld print that travels with the part. I'm not a big fan of this but some action may be better than no action. For example, if one welder does 8 welds at one setup then someone does another 4 welds at a different setup, have them each sign off on a copy of a weld print that that lot of 10, 25, 100 parts are good. Collect sign-offs at end, keep as a record.

I think the more information you can provide on your process the more help you'll recieve from other members.

L

Laser

I see. That's quite a few welds per part. I think this is a pretty common problem.

Are all welds done consecutively at the same setup?

I've heard of having welders sign of each weld they did on a weld print that travels with the part. I'm not a big fan of this but some action may be better than no action. For example, if one welder does 8 welds at one setup then someone does another 4 welds at a different setup, have them each sign off on a copy of a weld print that that lot of 10, 25, 100 parts are good. Collect sign-offs at end, keep as a record.

I think the more information you can provide on your process the more help you'll recieve from other members.

We are a contract manufacturer, we weld on several different weld nuts and fasteners per customer specs, however, we seem to have a re-occuring issue with missing weld nuts/fasteners. Some parts have several weld nuts/studs on them, some only one, obviously the parts with only one feature needing welding are never missed, however sometimes with multiple weld nuts/fasteners we struggle. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

We are a contract manufacturer, we weld on several different weld nuts and fasteners per customer specs, however, we seem to have a recurring issue with missing weld nuts/fasteners. Some parts have several weld nuts/studs on them, some only one, obviously the parts with only one feature needing welding are never missed, however sometimes with multiple weld nuts/fasteners we struggle. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Issue precisely the number of fasteners to be welded per part. A bag containing the fasteners attached to the part is issued to the welding process.

Stijloor.

J

JRKH

We are a contract manufacturer, we weld on several different weld nuts and fasteners per customer specs, however, we seem to have a re-occuring issue with missing weld nuts/fasteners. Some parts have several weld nuts/studs on them, some only one, obviously the parts with only one feature needing welding are never missed, however sometimes with multiple weld nuts/fasteners we struggle. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I can sympathize as the company I use to work for also did a lot of this kind of welding though we didn't have a lot of issues with missing nuts.

Is this a competancy issue?
Are the welders properly trained to read the drawings?
Is there a first piece inspection and sign off? If so who is this done by, welding or inspection?

Issuing the proper number of nuts with the parts is one way to go, but may not find the problem until late in the run (oops I welded 150 parts weighing 85 lbs each and now I find I have 150 nuts left which means I have to handle all of the parts again)

Our primary method was to have do a first article inspection and sign off. Plus the Welding supervisor would do a check on the first part. After this it was on Production to assure that all subsequent parts were correct.

Peace
James

P

prototyper

I have had this problem in the past. One solution is to make up a checking fixture with proximity sensors to check for the nut presence. Link the checking fixture to your projection welder so that it will not run until the fixture has detected every nut on the previous part.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

We seem to have a re-occuring problem of missing weld nuts or similar. What are some suggestions on ensuring that this problem go away?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One solution is to make a welding fixture for each component, or else, make a marking template for the components needing multiple welds and mark them by using distinct and bright colours, so that it catches immidiate attention of the welder. Prima-facie it is also apparent that the welders lack training on this aspect. If they just glance through the finished component before putting it aside, I feel the challenge will be reduced to great extent.

One question here: Are the welders working on piece rate, or on incentive scheme? If yes, then you may benefit by increasing the frequency of 'Petroling Inspection'.

Additionaly, as already suggested by few, issue packets/bins containing exact number of nuts with every component. This is being used by lots of assembly lines as a poka-yoke.

IMO this challenge is not very difficult to handle.

Umang :D

P

prototyper

Its forgotten weld nuts/fasteners.

Manual operation, and robotic is not feasible. Short runs of 100-1000 parts with 8- 30 weld nuts/fasteners per unit.

Thank you.

Are the weld nuts loaded manually or do you use bowl feeders?

Top Bottom