Improvement ideas

mubwandaz

Registered
Good day to you all

I am hoping you can help me please. I am looking for some improvement ideas. I just joined a small sheet metal fabrication company as quality engineer and there is no quality manager or inspector so basically one-man team. We are a sub-contracting company, and we don’t have a product of our own so its low volume high variety of products, we have the following processes laser cut, press brake ,welding ,powder coating and assembly. The issue is we get a LOT of customer complains due to never getting product right the first time. I have asked to put some processes in place such as FMEAS, but I’m told we cant afford the time to be doing these on all orders as it would take a lot of time, we don’t even final inspect products properly which I have highlighted. No processes checks carried out. Any ideas what sort of improvements I can introduce to reduce nonconformities. Any suggestions are most welcome, thank you in advance.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Do you do any repeat parts?

I can understand management’s reluctance to do full FMEA etc. But How about a simple project/print review. Make sure there are no print questions. Figure out what steps you’re going to take to make the project. Get everyone on the same page.

You could also do a global FMEA on your process. Not part specific, but hitting on the common issues for each area.

mubwandaz

Registered
Do you do any repeat parts?

I can understand management’s reluctance to do full FMEA etc. But How about a simple project/print review. Make sure there are no print questions. Figure out what steps you’re going to take to make the project. Get everyone on the same page.

You could also do a global FMEA on your process. Not part specific, but hitting on the common issues for each area.
Hi Goldman
That's a good point.I could create a process FMEA.

Quality-Nation

On Holiday
The issue is we get a LOT of customer complains due to never getting product right the first time
What are you getting wrong? Doing an FMEA won’t fix customers’ drawings which often put silly dimensions on bent metal, and that could be the main cause. Maybe, if you understand what your customers are complaining about, that would help. All problem solving starts with a clear problem statement, not asking people for suggestions on what to improve.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Is there anything in common with the complaints? A dimension or finish or a specific process complaint

Golfman25

What are you getting wrong? Doing an FMEA won’t fix customers’ drawings which often put silly dimensions on bent metal, and that could be the main cause. Maybe, if you understand what your customers are complaining about, that would help. All problem solving starts with a clear problem statement, not asking people for suggestions on what to improve.
That assumes the customers know what they are complaining about. :)

Rob_Kellock

Involved In Discussions
I'd start by analysing the complaints, the time and money spent to fix them. That then becomes a budget you can work with. If it costs $10k to fix the issues, then you can easily justify spending $10k in quality improvements that eliminate the number of complaints.

Bosses like to see a balanced book even from the quality department. No Company is going to begrudge spending $10k this year if it'll save them $10k every year. A typical return might even be 3 years which means they may authorise a spend of up to $30k to fix the issue.

Also as part of the analyses you may find that some types of product or some suppliers are more of a problem than others. This will then allow you to target your quality improvement efforts. You may find that even with limited resources you can fix 80% of the problems with targeted improvements.

Last edited:

Golfman25

Doesn't matter what they are complaining about. If they are complaining, it's an issue. If you don't fix it, you'll find another supplier will. I'd be grateful for complaints. Many customers will just stop using your services without so much as a wave goodbye.
Not sure how much customer experience you have In a make to print environment. A lot of times they’ll send drawings which defy the laws of physics And are impossible to make. Or they’ll complain about something that’s not even a requirement. Which is why I initially recommended a print review so they can address any issues with their customer before proceeding.

Rob_Kellock

Involved In Discussions
Not sure how much customer experience you have In a make to print environment. A lot of times they’ll send drawings which defy the laws of physics And are impossible to make. Or they’ll complain about something that’s not even a requirement. Which is why I initially recommended a print review so they can address any issues with their customer before proceeding.
No experience in make to print, but I agree, a review before accepting the work makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom