Web based file sharing i.e. Dropbox for Doc Control - Comments/Alternatives?

P

powens

Any positive or negitive experiences using a web based storage and file sharing system like Dropbox? Can someone recomend a "proven" alternative to Dropbox? DB does not seem like an outstanding choice, as it allows file sharer's complete edit/delete priveledges to all shared files (darn). Thanks

T

True Position

Dropbox is fine as a source of off site backup, but I can't see it being used for a document management system. You might want to look at MS Sharepoint. Other people on this forum have recommended using publicly available wiki software which can include group and individual level post/edit control.

T

tomvehoski

I don't think Dropbox was ever intended to be a file sharing tool for multiple users. It is a backup tool that also keeps all of your computers synchronized. Since I have a collection of a primary laptop, netbook, HTPC, and Android smartphone, it has been great at letting me access any of my documents from anywhere. Even if I was on my work machine, where I don't want to store any personal files, I can access one if needed through the web interface.

Sharepoint is a great tool for document collaboration, but can be quite the investment of time and money if you don't already have a server setup.

Google Docs or the other cloud services may work for you, but I have not played with them much.

M

murb1

I don't think Dropbox was ever intended to be a file sharing tool for multiple users. It is a backup tool that also keeps all of your computers synchronized. Since I have a collection of a primary laptop, netbook, HTPC, and Android smartphone, it has been great at letting me access any of my documents from anywhere. Even if I was on my work machine, where I don't want to store any personal files, I can access one if needed through the web interface.

Sharepoint is a great tool for document collaboration, but can be quite the investment of time and money if you don't already have a server setup.

Google Docs or the other cloud services may work for you, but I have not played with them much.
I am setting up a doc control process where we will list all items in BOMS thus;
PCB layout - 200 series
schematic - 300 series
firmware - 400 series
software - 500 series
assembly drw - 600 series

What do you think, makes any sense?

murb1

We use bittorrent SYNC, (BTSync) which works well. Changes on the master are immediately updated to local and remote sites. File privileges are controlled through the master account. There are no files size limits or storage issues since it is client based. Auto archive function enables reverse tracing if needed.

P

powens

Hi, so my first response would be a question. What kind of doc control system are you trying to create?

If you are trying to create a "typical" start up (low cost + high return), then what I did was use web based file structure/back up companies like Egnyte et al.

What you get for your $45 bucks a month is a Read/Write protected, "secure" (validated how?), scalable and frankly what seemed to be a pretty flexible solution.

Now on the good side and bad side, this is no drop box. The engineers are less in love with it, because they get cranky having to check big nasty SW files in and out of it (one reason that they like DB). But from a Q standpoint you get to control who reads and writes to and from the file structure. A person could run several companies from this product or others like it. I only refer to Egnyte, because this is the only one that I have used.

Comments / Corrections , Opinions?

Top Bottom