CQE Work Experience - New to Industry

P

Phbecker

Hello,
I tried getting a better answer straight from ASQ on this, but alas, their answer was extremely generic and not helpful, so any advice is appreciated.

I have worked in the education and retail industries for the last 13 years and am looking to make a career change. I am planning on taking the CQE Exam in December but am worried that my experience will not count towards the required 8 years.

I have the following experience and am wondering what you think, will this pass for the 8 year requirement. (all of the BOK experience would be in leadership and management)

Bachelor's Degree - 4 Years
I was a grade school and then high school teacher for 7 years.
I was a High School principal for 2 years from 2010-2012
I was a Starbucks Store Manager for 2 years from 2012-1014
I am currently a Customer Service Manager with a Big Box Retailer and have been for the last year.

Within each of those positions I managed large groups of both professional and hourly employees, while also leading many different projects and teams.

Thank you!!!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Here are the requirements (from the ASQ website)

Education and/or Experience

You must have eight years of on-the-job experience in one or more of the areas of the Certified Quality Engineer Body of Knowledge.

A minimum of three years of this experience must be in a decision-making position. ?Decision-making? is defined as the authority to define, execute, or control projects/processes and to be responsible for the outcome. This may or may not include management or supervisory positions.

Work experience must be in a full time, paid role. Paid intern, co-op or any other course work cannot be applied towards the work experience requirement.

If you were ever certified by ASQ as a Quality Auditor, Reliability Engineer, Software Quality Engineer or Quality Manager, experience used to qualify for certification in these fields applies to certification as a Quality Engineer.

If you have completed a degree* from a college, university or technical school with accreditation accepted by ASQ, part of the eight-year experience requirement will be waived, as follows (only one of these waivers may be claimed):
?Diploma from a technical or trade school?one year will be waived.
?Associate degree?two years waived.
?Bachelor?s degree?four years waived.
?Master?s or doctorate?five years waived.

*Degrees/diplomas from educational institutions outside the United States must be equivalent to degrees from U.S. educational institutions.

========================================

The Bachelors gives you 4 years waived.

Seems to me (and you need to write this up this way) the Principal and Store Manager should give you the other 4 years.

However, how much can you document that these 4 years included items in the CQE body of knowledge? http://asq.org/cert/resource/docs/cqe-bok-2006.pdf Certainly Starbucks must have had a Quality Management System you were expected to use.

Bottom line suggestion is - go ahead an apply, put in your resume with the application. Worst result is they say no and then I would ASSUME they would refund your application fee.

Another consideration is - do you have the requisite knowledge to pass the exam?

Top Bottom